What's Your Favorite Way to Transport Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
For a pipe club or any gathering with pipe smokers (a show, a pipe shop), it is time to put on the dog. So if you have fancy leather cases (I have one) now is your time to show off to the fair-the-well. However, for travel, when you walk the gauntlet of kleptomaniacs, I always like a nylon shaving bag from Walmart that holds everything and only tempts the thieves to steal my toothbrush and deodorant. It holds about three or four pipes, three or four baggies of tobacco of different blends, and accessories like pipe tools, lighters or matches, and pipe cleaners.

A fancy pipe case can also be confused as a pistol case, in which case it will draw in thieves from distant places. They'll book flights just to get a pass at that.

My only luggage search at an airport resulted from a harmonica that looked on the x-ray like a pistol clip.
But at least you had your carry permit for the harmonica, right?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
On multiple-day trips for which I want more protection, I use a cheap, hard shell, foam line pistol case.

On a couple of occasions I've had to move 30ish pipes to a guy who sells for me, so I've simply used the large version of this -- a cheap, hard shell, foam line shotgun case.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If out walking with the younger dog in colder weather a packed pipe goes in a pocket of a down vest or jacket. If on a "road trip" in the car or trip in general, I'll just take a couple of pipes and have used the larger, leather roll below. I just got the smaller canvas one from Country Squire and really like it - the short pipes I prefer in the car or on a trip will go nicely in there. I just don't have enough bowls on a daily or weekly basis I'd travel with a large number of pipes or amount of tobacco, so these are just right for me. Either can go in a carry on backpack if need be and no worries.213D4375-DF78-4559-8000-16B93F0375F3_1_201_a.jpeg

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I broke down and bought a proper pipe/tobacco/tools case.
I admit it comes in handy for my weekend trips to the local smoke shop for coffee and a pipe.
It was cheap and does the job nicely.

61MJeZxU8DS.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

61vQEGyGw7S._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Depends on where I'm going and how many pipes I'm taking. I have this for long trips with lots of pipes though.

I have a La Rocca leather two pipe pouch I bought when my entire collection could fit in it and it cost more than both of those pipes together. :ROFLMAO:

If I only need one pipe where I'm going, a pipe in a shirt pocket and a baccy roll in the back pocket works pretty well.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've got several, but if I'm carrying several jars of tobacco along with several pipes, my favorite is an Igloo lunch box. It'll hold several mason jars & tins in the bottom and half a dozen pipes up top. Plus room for lighters, matches, pipe cleaners & tampers on the side.
View attachment 192978
Smart. Never thought of that.

Reactions: Streeper541