What's Your Favorite Way to Transport Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I found a Japanese school kids’ pencil case that works great. It’s compact, easily holds two pipes and a pouch of tobacco in the main compartment, and lighter/matches, tamper and cleaners in the small zippered side area. Cost a few bucks and works fine. Easy access and padded enough for protection but easy to stuff into a satchel or even a coat pocket.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm a big fan of this Scotte case. For $30, you get a 2 pipe case, tobacco pouch, redwood tool, reamer and other things (along with a pear wood pipe that looks similar to a Savinelli 606 KS - decent smoker for what it is).

The case and accessories are worth the price of admission alone. I keep it in my car with some pouches in the console.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

lukifer

Lurker
Dec 10, 2022
I bought a wooden box from Hobby Lobby. (middle one cost ~$15)
331967[5].jpg
It is big enough to hold several pipes, 2-3 tins, a small jar or 2, pipe cleaners, a small pan to use for packing/drying and all the other things I need. It's a bit big(10x14x6) but I keep it on the passengers seat of whichever car I am driving and just close it up and move it when need be. I do 99% of my smoking in a car as MN is cold and apartment is non-smoking. I just have to remember to grab whatever I want to smoke that day before I leave the house. Does NOT fit in a pocket though...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In another thread I've discovered my maxpedition will be for longer trips.

But my favorite has been a cheap PU leather pipe tobacco combo pouch. It's lasted me 8 to ten years now of hard use. I have a nice leather combo pouch, but the tobacco area is separating and tobacco gets all over my pipes. So when my cheap one finally goes, I'll probably buy another.

Took me forever to find one, but this is my daily pouch.

This one

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
dAgdU63.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a variety of pipe bags that hold 1 or up to 8 pipes.

If I’m out for the evening it’s a two pipe pouch with an integrated tobacco pouch.

If it’s a road trip it’s a four pipe pouch with a separate two compartment tobacco pouch.

I have one made out of sailcloth I’ll post to this thread after hockey tonight. I love if for an extended trip.

Reactions: Carol

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Over the past decade, I've traveled quite a bit with pipes, by air and car. I've evolved thru multiple soltions.

I have a small Ehrlich carrier, but its very limited. And doesn't offer much protection.

Ehrlich_Pipe_Bag (2).JPG

I have a SmokinHolsters Necessities bag (4-6 pipes), good for pipe club events, but not much else (not much real protection, useless for air travel.

1673148899912.jpeg

I used a foam, hard-shell case for a long time, for primarily air travel.

1673148961730.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I switched to a big air back pack for carry on and didn't feel the foam case was up to the knocks of overhead or underseat storage. So, I bought a $12 plastic hard case (similar to a pistol case) it's slimmer than the foam case and offers the ultimate in protection. It's only good for 4-5 smaller pipes, but those are all that i use on vacation, etc.

Hardshell_Case (1).jpgHardshell_Case (2).jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a pipe club or any gathering with pipe smokers (a show, a pipe shop), it is time to put on the dog. So if you have fancy leather cases (I have one) now is your time to show off to the fair-the-well. However, for travel, when you walk the gauntlet of kleptomaniacs, I always like a nylon shaving bag from Walmart that holds everything and only tempts the thieves to steal my toothbrush and deodorant. It holds about three or four pipes, three or four baggies of tobacco of different blends, and accessories like pipe tools, lighters or matches, and pipe cleaners.

A fancy pipe case can also be confused as a pistol case, in which case it will draw in thieves from distant places. They'll book flights just to get a pass at that.

My only luggage search at an airport resulted from a harmonica that looked on the x-ray like a pistol clip.