What's Your Favorite Pipe Smoking Movie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I was perusing grungy old pipes at auction online while the tv was playing background noise yesterday when I looked up and saw a pipe being smoked by an invisible man. I didn't bother to check the name of the old classic, but, it was neat to see.
Now that I smoke a pipe, I begin to notice pipes. Same thing as with whatever model car I might be driving. I'll notice others like it.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
No one mentioned Shadowlands! The movie about C.S. Lewis! Anthony Hokins smokes a pipe in it. In fact, there's a ton of piping in it!

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
northernneil

Tarantino explains in a interview that maybe Landa doesn't smoke a pipe at all but rather uses it as a way of interrogation. He says that maybe Landa knows the farmer smokes a pipe and then choose to bring a pipe as well, a giant calabash- a Sherlock Holmes pipe. By smoking that pipe, he is implies to the farmer, you're lying and I know it.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
I'll proudly announce that I just found another pipe smoking film- The Philadelphia story. It is a truly amazing movie!

To be fair, there's little pipe smoking in it, but, if you have ever seen the open scene you WILL laugh and feel a heart attack at the same time. It is a fantastic movie, period. Pipe smoking movie or not, I'll watch it over and over again.

And a little question: Not being a American, I don't know much about american accents, but I do noticed that Tracy and her family speak with a odd accent, like standard american accent with a twist of british. Again, I don't know much about it so I welcome your opinion on this matter: is it a phily accent or a upper class accent or to you just a standard american accent?

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
This is a good thread to revive.

The Alfred Hitchcock movie Family Plot hasn't been mentioned yet. Bruce Dern plays a detective and often uses his pipe to accentuate his characters personality and comedy. One of my favorite Hitchcock films.

Here is a picture taken on set that shows Hitchcock in the background.

bruce-dern-600x497.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Someone mentioned Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. With you on that. That's 41 movies I think. And he certainly smokes the pipe for a purpose and not as a prop.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Remember the 1973 Walter Matthau movie "Charley Varrick"? Joe Don Baker's character "Molly"(a contract hitman) smokes a pipe in the majority of his scenes.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
One that hasn't been mentioned that I see. An oldie from 1937, "The Edge of the World" by Michael Powell. It is the story of a small island in the Outer Hebrides facing the abandonment of a way of life as depopulation and diminished resources take their toll. Though these folks have little money the men are often seen puffing away on their briars. They had their priorities!

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Yeah, the Hobbit and LOTR were my goto movies with pipe smoking.
Also, National Treasure - the Meerschaum in that movie is a beauty!

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
"Remember the 1973 Walter Matthau movie "Charley Varrick"? Joe Don Baker's character "Molly"(a contract hitman) smokes a pipe in the majority of his scenes."
Watched this movie last night. Looked like a leather wrapped GBD pot of somekind.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I have to say LOTR and The Hobbit as well. I will add the Starz series Black Sails has quite a bit of pipe smoking and some smoking hot sex scenes as well haha.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
The Lives Of The Bengal Lancers.
All time favourite - The Quiet Man.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
LOTR - I smoked strictly clays for a while. I still like home altered wardens.
Sherlock Holmes likely helped get me into pipes a lot.
The Gods Must Be Crazy, forgot about that. Great movie. Aye, aye, aye was my go to exclamation for a while.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I watched the mesmerizing film, Loving Vincent last night. There was hardly a scene without a pipe in it.
Here's the trailer on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3dqQPunKs

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
@tuold

Wow that move looks interesting. The style reminds me of waking life. Ill definitely check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.