What's Your 4th of July, 2024 Food Lineup?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I used to serve a pretty mean order of St. Louis style ribs with Gates barbecue sauce and a rack of lamb for the wife and other female guests. We'd have all the "fixins" for this feast with deviled eggs, baked beans, garlic bread, baked potatoes, etc. We would have about 8 people over and set up the deck for them. Life was good back then. And then we got old and so did all the guests. Yes, those were the good old days.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I used to serve a pretty mean order of St. Louis style ribs with Gates barbecue sauce and a rack of lamb for the wife and other female guests. We'd have all the "fixins" for this feast with deviled eggs, baked beans, garlic bread, baked potatoes, etc. We would have about 8 people over and set up the deck for them. Life was good back then. And then we got old and so did all the guests. Yes, those were the good old days.
That sounds like some great memories you and your wife have collected over the years. I hear you with the getting older. I am not fan of being around big crowds anymore. Give me the small gatherings and the space to decompress from those small gatherings.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Happy Fourth from Florida, land of the free.

Heading to a friend's for bbq later, he's been manning the smoker since 3am, he usually has ribs, turkey, pulled pork and all the fixins. After that maybe out on a boat to watch fireworks over the river, that part is still up in the air depending on how social im feeling.
After the BBQ and libation with or without good company....everything else is literally gravy in my book on a day like today! Getting up at 3am to make sure the smoker is on schedule is a major commitment. Much respect. puffy

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The gustatorial highlight of my day is the turkey burger I defrosted and plopped on some sourdough. I'm steam cleaning the stairway carpet.
They do a big shindig in Ashland. There's a major parade, followed by a concert in Lithia Park with a guest appearance by Abraham Lincoln and occasionally another great historic American.

But as it's well above 100˚and will going up from there for the next 5 days, I'm enjoying the luxury of working air conditioning instead.

Cheers all, and don't incinerate yourselves.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I baked the cheesy jalapeño cornbread and chocolate chip cookies last night. Then slow rolled the cooking out this morning and afternoon. I do not have a grill, so my ribs were done in the oven, yet they did not disappoint! I added some brown sugar to the stubbs original BBQ sauce, and made sure I did a dry rub on those baby back pork ribs before glazing them at the end with the sauce to make them sticky. Ended up making deli-style potato salad instead of loaded baked potatoes. Apparently the secret ingredient is a splash of distilled vinegar. Who knew??

In other news, we were so stuffed we didn't even have room for the cookies and vanilla ice cream at the end! Still trying to make room for a bit of tobacco pipe smoking. I watched Dick Allgire's interview with Jean-Claude at Beyond Mystic about their Future Forecasting Group remote viewing data from recent sessions, and now gearing up for a nap. 😴

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I baked the cheesy jalapeño cornbread and chocolate chip cookies last night. Then slow rolled the cooking out this morning and afternoon. I do not have a grill, so my ribs were done in the oven, yet they did not disappoint! I added some brown sugar to the stubbs original BBQ sauce, and made sure I did a dry rub on those baby back pork ribs before glazing them at the end with the sauce to make them sticky. Ended up making deli-style potato salad instead of loaded baked potatoes. Apparently the secret ingredient is a splash of distilled vinegar. Who knew??

In other news, we were so stuffed we didn't even have room for the cookies and vanilla ice cream at the end! Still trying to make room for a bit of tobacco pipe smoking. I watched Dick Allgire's interview with Jean-Claude at Beyond Mystic about their Future Forecasting Group remote viewing data from recent sessions, and now gearing up for a nap. 😴
No shame in baking ribs. Last year was a rough one and I couldn't break out the grill/smoker, so baked ribs it was.

And vinegar in potato salad adds a zing. We use it in our family's Armenian potato salad (with olive oil and lemon juice - no mustard or mayonnaise).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Older son came up and requested skirt steaks. So grilled skirt steaks in my signature marinade. Made ton of green onion salad. The idea is to put a thin slice of skirt steak on a red leaf lettuce, top it with Korean bean paste mixture, spot of green onion salad and rice. Wrap 'em up and eat it. Get filled up quick with some good Japanese lager.

1000003344.jpg

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Older son came up and requested skirt steaks. So grilled skirt steaks in my signature marinade. Made ton of green onion salad. The idea is to put a thin slice of skirt steak on a red leaf lettuce, top it with Korean bean paste mixture, spot of green onion salad and rice. Wrap 'em up and eat it. Get filled up quick with some good Japanese lager.

View attachment 321951
Yes! Korean lettuce wraps are what turned me onto putting other rice bowl mixtures in lettuce wraps with different types of dressings. At the Korean BBQ restaurants (my happy place) here that was my favorite part of the meal...load up the lettuce wraps with the meat, rice and some banchan choices, a little drizzle of sesame oil with salt and pepper. So tasty! Although more and more I see the rice sheets and the salad is shredded. puffy

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Was thinking about smoking a pork butt, but had to clean up a house for work. Ended up eating Panda Express, how depressing.
I've had many of those kinds of holidays in the past. Yeah, it's the best on the day/evening of. I try to still get the holiday food in at the first available. Hope you can find a moment soon to enjoy your 4th of July favorites. puffy
🇺🇸