What's Your 4th of July, 2024 Food Lineup?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

84 Fresh Peterson Pipes
13 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
2 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes
24 Fresh Genod Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
For those celebrating, what are y'all makin'? Here is my small-scale homemade lineup:

Baby Back Pork Ribs with Stubb's Original BBQ Sauce
Green Salad with tomatoes and onions tossed in a sweet creamy balsamic dressing
Baked Potatoes with all the trimmings
Cheesy Jalapeño and Garlic Cornbread with Honey Butter
Chocolate Chip cookies with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

I don't have a wide selection of tobaccos yet. So probably will be enjoying Bengal Slices for contrast.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I, too, have some St. Louis ribs for today. Mrs. jaytex1969 will likely be testing out a new tater salad recipe and I'll probably steam up some carrots and broccoli crowns. Oh yeah, the Carolina peaches are in. I'll likely eat them until I'm ill, then eat just a few more...

As a combat veteran with cats, we all hate the whole evening of drunkards with explosives.

We'll head down into the basement theater and crank up the sound on some double feature for the evening and hope the neighbors don't burn the joint down.

Forum Sig.png

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I, too, have some St. Louis ribs for today. Mrs. jaytex1969 will likely be testing out a new tater salad recipe and I'll probably steam up some carrots and broccoli crowns. Oh yeah, the Carolina peaches are in. I'll likely eat them until I'm ill, then eat just a few more...

As a combat veteran with cats, we all hate the whole evening of drunkards with explosives.

We'll head down into the basement theater and crank up the sound on some double feature for the evening and hope the neighbors don't burn the joint down.

View attachment 321730
Thanks for your service! 🇺🇸 Those Carolina peaches sound great! Folks around here have been lighting off the fireworks in LA since last weekend...although truth be told..sometimes it is a little fuzzy telling the difference between the fireworks and the guns going off around this time because of the acoustics around the hills. That's great you have a basement to escape the sounds of the fireworks. Enjoy the double feature! 📺

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Going out for the big meal, several choices in each category, but besides ribs, dunno what'll be available. I much prefer the "Menu by Marie!"
Sometimes just having the food made by someone else makes all the difference. There is a BBQ chain in these parts called Wood Ranch. For a while they offered giant short rib on their menu. All that intense marbling with the meat and a side of mashed potatoes. The best! puffy

Edit: Wood Ranch - https://www.woodranch.com/

Last edited:

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I’m not really eating heavy meals when it’s this hot and humid; that stuff bogs me down. Fortunately there’s nothing on my social calendar so I won’t be confronted with all the usual stuff. I’ll be making a chilled cucumber soup. I’ve got a watermelon. I’m grateful to be off work mainly.
That sounds very refreshing. Chilled soups are not something I usually make, however I can appreciate them. What goes into your cucumber soup? Congrats on the respite from work. puffy

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
That sounds very refreshing. Chilled soups are not something I usually make, however I can appreciate them. What goes into your cucumber soup? Congrats on the respite from work. puffy
Cukes, creme fraiche, Greek yogurt, fresh garlic, dill, mint, chives, mild chili pepper, mineral water, chicken stock, salt. Refreshing and hydrating!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Fried green tomatoes with remoulade (since a rabbit ate out first ripe tomatoes).

French onion & shiitake soup

Grilled flat iron steak for steak and gruyere sandwiches. I've rubbed it with homemade Montreal seasoning and did a quick 3-day dry age in the fridge.

Persian dill rice https://www.proportionalplate.com/baghali-polo/#recipe

Oven fries Baked Mexican French Fries with Salsa Ketchup - https://carlsbadcravings.com/baked-mexican-street-fries-with-salsa-ketchup/#wprm-recipe-container-36692

Washing it down with a bottle of 2 of White Bordeaux (I know, I know - white wine with red meat, but it's flipping hot outside). Maybe some cognac juleps while cooking.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Wow! That sounds really tasty! Is it a personal recipe? Did it come from any particular part of the world?
It is an amalgamation of the parts I like best from 4 or 5 internet recipes. They seem popular in England but I don’t really know. A lot of the recipes were from British sites.

I had it for lunch at a restaurant called Zoup and this is my knockoff version.

I see you are in L.A. What a food Mecca that must be. I like the Korean/Mexican fusion stuff I see on food shows out there.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
It is an amalgamation of the parts I like best from 4 or 5 internet recipes. They seem popular in England but I don’t really know. A lot of the recipes were from British sites.

I had it for lunch at a restaurant called Zoup and this is my knockoff version.

I see you are in L.A. What a food Mecca that must be. I like the Korean/Mexican fusion stuff I see on food shows out there.
It is a food Mecca! In many cases the best food is served right off of food trucks parked all over the urban sprawl by chefs looking to make their mark in a very saturated market. We have lots of great food being served out of tiny holes in the wall with lines around the block. Of late the constant inflation has really moved a lot of people towards the grocery stores and markets to save money by cooking more at home (myself being one of those). I pulled my cornbread recipe from an amalgamation of youtube videos yesterday. Gotta love the internet for this reason. :)