PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Sure you can. It's people that are hard to teach. Dogs old and young are really easy to teach. Cats too you just have to use a different tactic on them. Now old people how long before they figured out the internet?
Cats, dogs (all animals really), and people are all easiest to train by the positive reinforcement method. It's only the type of positive reward that differs depending on species and individuals. For example, dogs respond well to verbal rewards once they learn them, after it does the desired action, tell a dog that it's a good boy and it's like "F**K YEAH, If I bring back the ball, I'M A GOOD BOY!" Cats respond better to food rewards. People can be a bit more complicated, but generally also respond well to verbal praise and food rewards.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Speaking of TR, I've been going through a period sampling the Charatan Dunhill replacements (which feels like an act of somewhat wierd cosmic justice given Dunhill & Charatan's history) & there are hardly any reviews of them there. Are they not available in the States?

Not a fan of most of them but I might rebuy Rolls & First Bowl...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Speaking of TR, I've been going through a period sampling the Charatan Dunhill replacements (which feels like an act of somewhat wierd cosmic justice given Dunhill & Charatan's history) & there are hardly any reviews of them there. Are they not available in the States?

Are the charatan different from the Robert McConnell clones? Is the Charatan made by K&K?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Are the charatan different from the Robert McConnell clones? Is the Charatan made by K&K?
Just had to look that up. They were released in 2018 & are indeed made by K&K (under licence from Tor who now own Charatan). So perhaps they're marketed under a different cover elsewhere?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ll read some reviews of a new (to me) blend. I contributed a couple of reviews but I stopped because...well, who gives a shit what I think? Unless someone asks, I have something singular to say about it, or I find something truly special, me adding another “moisture perfect out of the tin, grass and hay and wood notes burns to a fine white ash” review is not really adding anything other than more white noise. It’s a great resource for sure, but I’ve come to the conclusion that half the reviews on there are just cut/paste jobs and few have any real substance. JimInks is of course trustworthy for being objective (except he gave Chelsea Morning two stars which proves his tasters aren’t perfect) and Pipestud is good, too. If those two align, then I know the blend is good. If only one of them agrees, I go with Pipestud cause again, JimInks only gave Chelsea Morning two stars and that’s a completely rational thing to be upset about.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Traffic has declined at TR in the last few years. It started when old accounts became "Emeritis Account"s. People don't up vote reviews like they used to, and there's fewer reviews posted now then there used to be.

I typed this in my sleep to show @anotherbob how it's done! :LOL:
So I guess my take home from this is that I need to create an account there & start giving out some likes.

As others have posted I don't feel my taste buds are going to contribute much, but it's a great resource & if that helps keep it up & running it's a small price to pay.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com

When I first started with smoking it was during the hiatus of Dunhill (Peterson)! Blends and I tried a lot of Charatan match ones as a place to get started.

The two you mention were definitely my favourites and I prefer First Bowl to Early Morning Pipe still. I find it much more satisfying in the flavour and nic department.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
When I first started with smoking it was during the hiatus of Dunhill (Peterson)! Blends and I tried a lot of Charatan match ones as a place to get started.

The two you mention were definitely my favourites and I prefer First Bowl to Early Morning Pipe still. I find it much more satisfying in the flavour and nic department.
Glad it wasn't just me!

I think they're both going into my next order - Early Bowl was a big grower for me, got better every time I tried it. Really good for a gentle wind down after work smoke.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I'm on TR several times each day. I check the "What's New" section mostly, but I do look up blends I currently smoke or am interested in trying. It would be a disservice to our pipe smoking community for TR to go away, not only for us longtime pipe smokers, but more importantly for first time pipe smokers.
Agreed...............

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
However you can always get the last reviews by using the Search menu button: by default it allows tobacco searching, but below, in the Advanced section of the page, there's the link "Change to review search...", which leads you to the "Search reviews" page; you fill the "reviewed since" field for example with "1" and you get only the reviews in the last day...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As the old saying and song lyrics say, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.