What's the worst tobacco you've ever smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Squadron Leader. Smelled like leather jacket, tasted like burnt hair. (I know many will disagree with this one)

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Goes to show how much tastes differ. I like Apple & Squadron Leader quite a bit.
These blends don't really count, but in a way they do. They are Wind River and GT One. I roll my own cigarettes and these are two of the blends out there that are labeled as pipe tobacco. They both make for a disgusting barnyard tasting cigarette and I would recommend both pipe and cigarette smokers to steer clear of them.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I'm about to get in trouble I feel. Cherry Blend and Mixture 79, both from Middleton.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Generally, I have always been a tad disappointed with most of the Cherry offerings. There was an exception to this which I was only ever able to source from a wonderful Pipe Shop in Salisbury, Wiltshire, the blend was called Morello Cherry and it didn't have any of the rather less pleasant attributes that the others seem to have.
I know I'll get shouted at for saying this, especially as I am an Englishman, but I am not at all keen on some of our more traditional blends which always seem so soapy to my tastes.
I'll get my coat. LOL
Rob

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I remember when I first started smoking a pipe.I thought cherry was the way to go.I hopped on the cherry-go-round tobacco ride.The horrible mistake still lingers in my subconscious today.That was twenty plus years ago,and still feels like yesterday.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
At the Chicago show, Mark Ryan handed out samples of single fermented Perique leaves sealed in plastic.
I dried one out, ground it up and smoked a pure, un-blended single Perique leaf .. for about five minutes.
If you want to know what this is like try this:
Remove the top of a completely filled pepper shaker. Tilt your head back and pour the contents into your mouth. Then spin around and around until you are so dizzy you fall down.
Now I know why they call it a condiment tobacco.
Pepper is great when you put it on something like a steak, or eggs. It's pretty nasty if you just pour it into your mouth.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Ive never smoked "bad" tobacco....I pretty much like them all! There are some that I like better than others but none really bad. I even liked the perique by itsself. Of course I use to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day so it takes alot to make me dizzy!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Butera's King Fisher. It just tasted ashy and harsh and came with a gut turning nicotine attack. I made it through a little over a half tin in the name of giving it an honest try, but found nothing enjoyable, yet everything objectionable about this tobacco. I have also tried St. James perique all by itself and I have to agree with Kevin. I felt like I had been poisoned and was smoking a food processor set on liquify.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I tend to forget the tobaccos I don't like.

However; I recently tried a Virginia Rope, it tasted like it looked.

Let's just say if I saw it lying on the ground I wouldn't pick it up, and I definitely would step in it.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I know that I'm outside of the mainstream taste profile, but I don't

mind it a bit at all. For me, the worst blends include: 1-Q, Mixture 79,

1792 and John Rolf's Peach Brandy.

Reactions: Oligo

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
Middleton's apple is the only one i have ever thrown out. i also dislike borkum riff as i find it too syrupy (as with many cherry tobaccos). I find that captain black is a much less overpowering cherry, but has little else to offer. as far as mixture 79, many people don't like this but i do. Tastes like spice drops, i'm a fan of anissette flavoring. Never smoke mixture 79 in one of your good pipes as it will leave a taste in the pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Pstlpkr, I tend to dismiss and forget the smokes that didn't go over too well.

But I do remember Theodorus Niemeyer's Flying Dutchman, not the recently discontinued

black cavendish, but the older incarnation from the mid 1960's. A moist shag that bit

like a cobra. Bad taste I can deal with. Physical injury is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.