PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I read an article, maybe a link on Forums, about people in England who prospect for old clay pipes, disposable discards, from the seventeen and eighteen hundreds, maybe some older. These are exposed at low tide on the riverbanks of the Thames. These were originally smoked in coffee shops and pubs and discarded. I assume some of these are smoked by treasure hunters, if enough is left to provide a smoke. A four hundred year old pipes sounds like a real time machine. Are there any older pipes to be found that could be smoked?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a couple of my grandfather’s pipes, which I think are pretty old... but yeah, a 400+ year old pipe would certainly be cool.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Crackedpipe

Lurker
Nov 22, 2020
England
Being a Londoner born and raised, I've ventured to the Thames banks a few times myself and have seen the fragments of clay pipes scattered around, although I've never seen anything smokable first hand, having said that... I wouldn't want to put anything pulled out of the Thames anywhere near my face, but it is fascinating to think of the history; thousands of disposable pipes lobbed in like the cigarette butts of today:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My last visit to the Thames was at its annual high-water mark, so it didn't look too polluted, but of course it is, like all metropolitan waterways. Maybe there are examples of indigenous pipes from North America that might be cleansed by time, that go way back in history. The oldest pipe I smoke is probably my first, only about 40 years old.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I got a pipe that's 20 years old and it feels like an old man pipe to me. :) I've smoked a pipe that was built into an old tree but that isn't really the same thing. Hint it's in Single Town Gap in one of the few Virgin forest area around here. Side note once on a date I got attacked by a little tree frog. O.k. it jumped on my the back of my neck and crawled around there until I flung it off thinking it was a big spider cause that's what it felt like I hope he or she was fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Jacob74

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tom- I've seen a documentary on a person or group that regularly combs the Thames and other rivers for clays. Sorry can't remember who has it, or title, though it was probably PBS.

And yes, indigenous peoples of the Americas smoked way back, but relics are few and far between.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Tom- I've seen a documentary on a person or group that regularly combs the Thames and other rivers for clays. Sorry can't remember who has it, or title, though it was probably PBS.

And yes, indigenous peoples of the Americas smoked way back, but relics are few and far between.
Was it possibly Lara Maiklem?

Aug 1, 2012
Only did the virgin smoke on a 120 year old pipe. More on briar would be rough but more on clay would be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.