PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I personally like the way that Rustication feels in my hand. I have a healthy number of pipes that are rusticated and think that they give the pipe some character, but with most things, it is personal preference.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"American Pipe makers are known for the use of rustication, and do it very well. Factory pipes use it to cover up flaws exclusively in my opinion."
Well said, hrnyclay! Specifically, carvers like Rad Davis, Brian Ruthenberg, Bruce Weaver, and of course J.T. Cooke have elevated blasting to an art form.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
"Some pipemakers do their rustication by hand with a chisel, some use a motortool. It requires more attention and care than blasting: that's just a matter of putting your briar in the blasting chamber and have a coffee while the work is largely done for you. "
Ask Jim Cooke about that....takes him a day or two to blast a pipe. He goes over it up to 5 times with different grades of media to get this...
PIPE_10.jpg

PIPE_09.jpg

PIPE_15.jpg

oldguy

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
Okay, I'm coming a little late to this discussion, but let me add my two cents worth of clarification. The BIG difference between sandblasting and rustication is this: yes, rustication is often used to cover imperfections, but if done with care it makes a very nice-looking pipe with a texture that feels really good in the hand. Sandblasting actually brings out the grain by making it 3-dimensional. You can NOT hide bad grain with a sandblast.

Smooth finish, Rustication, and Sandblasting are purely a matter of owner preference. They can all be done haphazardly or with extreme care, and each process has the potential to produce either an ugly lump or a work of beauty.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
True, sandblasting does show the existing grain in sharp relief. But a sandpit of modest size will look like a nice craggy spot in a good blast-- while in a smooth pipe it will look like a hole.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There are also some theories out there that rusticated or blasted pipes may smoke cooler. Allowing the heat to disperse better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Prices somewhat hint at the use of rustication to cover blemishes. Rusticated pipes can cost less (a little or a lot) less

than smooth pipes. However, rustication is an art of its own, and can be kind of corny (I have one or two of those pipes,

and like them) or impressive and striking. I like the texture offered by rustication, and if you smoke a pipe a lot and

haul it around with you, rustication can offer durability. A smooth finish with fine grain requires more protection and

upkeep than even a handsome rusticated finish, so it isn't all sacrifice to buy a rusticated pipe; there are practical

advantages. About a third of my stable of pipes are rusticated, some with artistry and some more folksy. I think they

look great and have their own claims to distinction. To be fussy and rejecting of them seems a tad narrow minded.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
When I first started smoking pipes I wouldn't even look at a rusticated or blasted pipe, it was smooth or nothing for me! Now I enjoy pipes of all finishes.

While I do agree that rustication and blasts can be used to hide blemishes, I also agree that some pipes are designed with the same in mind before the briar is even chosen! For instance, I really doubt if took a high quality rusticated pipe, such as a Castello, Caminetto, ect., down to bare wood, that you would find major flaws. Same goes for high end blasted pipes such as Rad Davis and such. If you think about it, it takes a lot more work to achieve a good rustication than a good smooth finish. I for one, also greatly enjoy the feel of a rusticated or blasted pipe in hand, and I also believe they smoke cooler to an extent ( I'm not alone in this belief ).

I continue to buy smooth pipes, but I admit that nowadays I lean ever so slightly towards rusticated and blasted pipes. Although recently, I've probably bought more smooth pipes than anything else.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first began my journey into the world of pipes, smooth pipes with great grain were my preference. 13 years later, I prefer a great sandblasted pipe that has a great ring grain blast. There is something about looking at a great blast that is more appealing to me than a smooth pipe. I will say though that a pipe loaded with birdseye still makes my mouth water. Unfortunately for me, the pipes with birdseye that I love are way out of my price range, they are generally double to triple the price of my blasted pipes.
recoilrob, that pipe is what I am talking about when I refer to a great ring grain blast, outstanding piece of work you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.