PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Could some one please tell me the deal with Latakia. It seems to get a lot of attention, but I don't get it. I have tried smoking it before, in Nightcap and that was the only instance I really enjoyed it. I'm mostly a Va/VaPer/VaBur kind of guy with a small smattering of Aeros (Autumn Evening, MacB Vanilla Flake and 7 Seas Royal).
But I just don't get Latakia. Last week I was at my local B&M, the early 20 somethings were all smoking Latakia blends and seemed very proud of it. The dedicated pipe guy who works at the B&M is was super proud of the fact that they recently started carrying My Mixture 965 bulk (Latakia heavy) and kept insisting that I try it.
Well, I had just bought a tin of McClelland Va 22 and had just finished a bowl of McClelland Grey Havens, loved it by the way (pending review coming up for Luxury Tobacco Reviews). Any how, I gave in and loaded up a Missouri Meerschaum hard wood of the 965.
I don't know how you Lat heads can smoke it. It's all I could taste when I puffed on it. It didn't seem harsh but I found it very over whelming and pungent. After about 10 mins I dumped the bowl out, just couldn't hang with it. And while I did mention Nightcap, it's been almost two years or longer since I've smoked it. I'm thinking even then, while I recall enjoying it, I didn't keep it around.
So can you tell me what I'm missing here?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
To each his own. Some prefer that woody, smoky thing, some don't. The same way I like scotch and dark beers, but my dad likes Captain & Coke and MGD Light. We like different stuff.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Well, on the 7th day when everyone thought God was resting he was actually creating the tastiest smoke a man could have: Latakia. He smoked it, and saw that it was good!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Romanza10, don't feel pressure to enjoy Latakia. You either like it or you don't, keep smoking the aromatic tobaccos you do enjoy. You might try Latakia again in a year or two or not, who cares, just don't smoke something to try to fit into some mold of what you think you should be smoking.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I agree with everyone else's posts: just saw a chance at a small joke. I have started liking the lighter latakia blends and have not tried too many of the heavier lat blends. The best part of this hobby is that something you don't like today you might like in November.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
As said before, to each his own. The only Dunhill blend I've had is EMP, which I thought was OK but not spectacular. MM 965 and Nightcap get a lot of love around here and are on my list, but I prefer McClelland Latakia blends. I'm smoking some Blue Mountain right now, as a matter of fact, and it is very good! I'd suggest trying one of the Frog Mortons such as Across The Pond, it's not very Latakia heavy and is a wonderful smoke! Oh, by the way, I don't have much love for the Va Va/Per blends. I've tried a handful, but just can't bring myself to like them. The only one I halfway like is McClelland 221b Black Shag, and even at that I couldn't smoke it all the time. Different strokes for different folks!

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I guess the latakia blends just get me in that relaxing type of mood, just sittin on the porch, pipe is burnin, weather is right. Plus I do enjoy the "woodsy, deep, flavor" that comes with it. .02
Mike

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
philobeddoe:
Romanza10, don't feel pressure to enjoy Latakia. You either like it or you don't, keep smoking the aromatic tobaccos you do enjoy. You might try Latakia again in a year or two or not, who cares, just don't smoke something to try to fit into some mold of what you think you should be smoking.
You are most correct. But I always feel like there is a divide in pipe smoking over the whole Latakia thing. It actually makes me kind of sad. I will continue to smoke what I like and like what I smoke (borrowed quote I see around here a lot).
petes03:
As said before, to each his own. The only Dunhill blend I've had is EMP, which I thought was OK but not spectacular. MM 965 and Nightcap get a lot of love around here and are on my list, but I prefer McClelland Latakia blends. I'm smoking some Blue Mountain right now, as a matter of fact, and it is very good! I'd suggest trying one of the Frog Mortons such as Across The Pond, it's not very Latakia heavy and is a wonderful smoke! Oh, by the way, I don't have much love for the Va Va/Per blends. I've tried a handful, but just can't bring myself to like them. The only one I halfway like is McClelland 221b Black Shag, and even at that I couldn't smoke it all the time. Different strokes for different folks!
I have tried the Frogs before, I want to like them as I love McClelland blends, but I just couldn't do it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I try to smoke an english blend a few times a week. I like the variety it provides in a rotation, and the odor of tinned latakia to me it is one of the classic pipe smells. I'm happy that it exists.
I found it very over whelming and pungent.
Yes, sometimes it has too much treble. I have found that some cellaring time makes this fade. Alternatively, I could recommend a fatter blend like Quiet Nights or Presbyterian Mixture.
We all have our favorites. I don't smoke any aros so don't feel bad.

Aug 1, 2012
It's the same with beer geeks. Some like hop bombs like a good IIPA but others would prefer a well crafted mild brown ale. I love me some lat because it has the flavors I gravitate towards right now whereas you have little love for them. The taste differences are yet another thing that makes this hobby great.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I like strong Latakia blends, but in a rotation. I smoke 'em for a bit, then after a few smokes it just hits me to change it up and I move on. Come back to them every 2 weeks or so. I enjoy them that way.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I was very shy to try a LAT blend initially because of the strong smell but I forced myself to just try it. Now, I at least need to get one or two bowls of a LAT blend (either LAT/VA/CAV/BUR or my favorite of all LAT/VA/ORI)
I think I enjoy the taste it leaves in my mouth afterwards that I love the most. I enjoy the smoke as well don't get me wrong but I don't know what it is about the aftertaste.
My opinion: give it a try, at least 3-4 bowls. If you don't like it cellar it and forget about it and maybe you will like it one day as an old man :) I say that because when I pick up my LAT blends at. My B&M I'm always told I'm much too young to be smoking this blend.... It's for old people LOL. Shoot then sunny.... Put that there Baggie of backy in that bag and shush up ;)

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My feeling is this..As has been said countless times..Smoke what you like..That's because we like different things..Latakia is definetly not for everyone.I love a mild to medium Latakia blend,but not all the time.I used to only smoke only Aromatics.Now I switch back and forth between the two.One thing to mention here.All Latakia blends aren't the same.I've been smoking them for many years now,and still some of them are much too heavy for me.Taste changes over time.If you don't like Latakia now try it again later and see if your taste has changed.I've been smoking a pipe for four decades now,and I'm still not able to smoke straight Virginia,Yet many say it's the only way to go.It just isn't the way for me.You will probably never like every blend that someone tells you about.Those who smoke Latakia don't just like it they love it.Some though just don't seem to realize that others don't like it at all.I end where I began with that old saying..Smoke what you like..If for you it's not Latakia hold your head high and smoke something else.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Very true puff! I smoke a blend from my local B&M by the name of "Proper English" it is just delicious! So I thought I would try a Frog for my first time... On the bayou and I was given the feeling I was smoking something laced with vapo rub (rub for your chest to release congestion) by the taste and smells I was receving from the bowl. LAT blends are very different

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I smoke Latakia blends almost exclusively, with a bit of VA/PERS every now and then. Like roth said, tastes change overtime. I used to only smoke aros, then changed to the almighty Latakia. Another thing is that I believe that Lat based blends grow on you. I hated my first few Lat blends. At the end of the day, just smoke what makes you happy.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I am an old man (not very old! but I fit the above bill). I am a moody old man! I smoke Latakia-containing tobaccos when I am in the mood, which is quite often! I don't use the lighter ones - I prefer the dark ones. That doesn't mean I think they are 'better' than VAs - I smoke just as much FVF/FV Plug and BBF or my ropes when I am in that mood. But I stick to plugs/flakes - I love SG and GH Balkan Flakes and have been smoking them for about 7 years now.
Each to his own taste, but IMO keep trying them as the years pass - don't give up om them lol

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I love Latakia, and smoke English blends and Latakia blends a lot. Still there are times when I enjoy a good Va or Va/Per, it just depends on what I want at the time. I even like a good aro now and then.
We all have different taste in food and drink, stands to reason that would also apply to tobacco. As has been said many times, Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. Latakia's not for everyone and neither is aro's or Va Va/Per Va/Bur. Just enjoy and take pride in what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.