PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I hear that these are cool smoking? Hookah?
Did I see anyone mention the venerable Corn Cob Pipe? I think an unfinished Missouri Meerschaum pipe, like the Pride, smokes as cool as any Grecian Meer for a fraction of the price and a fraction of the elegance.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Did I see anyone mention the venerable Corn Cob Pipe? I think an unfinished Missouri Meerschaum pipe, like the Pride, smokes as cool as any Grecian Meer for a fraction of the price and a fraction of the elegance.
if not they certainly should have.
Oh and forgot to add the inclusion of pipe magic. Sometimes there is no clear reason a pipe smokes the way it does. Maybe it's how it's carved or the density of wood but certain pipes seem to just have smoking qualities that are easiest to explain as magic.

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Meerschaum Pipes all smoke cooler than just about any briar pipe and they are great pipes!

Corn Cob Pipes smoke just as cool as Meerschaum Pipes and depending on the tobacco even cooler. Corn Cobs are far more forgiving to new smoker.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Meerschaum Pipes all smoke cooler than just about any briar pipe and they are great pipes!

Corn Cob Pipes smoke just as cool as Meerschaum Pipes and depending on the tobacco even cooler. Corn Cobs are far more forgiving to new smoker.
From my experience clays smoke the coolest and driest of any material. That said the bowl gets super hot, like touching the outside of the bowl while smoking will burn you like you touched the ember, but the smoke that gets to your mouth will be pretty cool compared to any other pipe even if you go over board.
But not one of the pipes people talked about including system pipes by the broadest use of the term (any pipe with a moisture control system) can keep a smoke cool if the person puffs too fast or over packs or anything like that. What I have noticed those pipes are great for is smoking damp tobacco that would burn on the hot side no matter what. For example I think mixture 79 taste best pretty moist it behaves better in such a pipe.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I actually though of a hookah too, but didn't mention it because they are not practical to carry around and because... and this is a personal reason... to me they give even your favorite tobacco a "sickening" taste. Plus you're supposed to use these fruity. wet nasty concoctions instead of real tobacco. No thanks! puffy

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Threads like these are fascinating. A belief that a different pipe can change the combustion temperature of tobacco.
Here is a link to Artie’s Place on YouTube:

He’s the only one I’ve seen who has done something like this where he measures the temperature of the smoke before and after the filter. This one is with a 9mm balsa and I think he’s done one with 9mm activated charcoal filters, too.

Maybe the combustion is always the same depending on the blend. Filters help reduce the temperature entering the mouth.

I can’t imagine the type of freight training happens to a pipe for briar to burn though. It’s frightening to think about. So in that case maybe about 30 degrees difference Artie talks about doesn’t matter.

I read somewhere once thought that some coffee drinkers get used to drinking it so hot that it burns their tongue every time though.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLDRD

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Threads like these are fascinating. A belief that a different pipe can change the combustion temperature of tobacco.
I don't think it's a question of the tobacco, but some pipes do get hotter easier than others, in my experience.

I suspect a narrower airway is one of the main reasons. In addition to the thickness and quality of the briar or meerschaum.

But as has already been said, the main variable by far is the technique of the smoker.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia

He’s the only one I’ve seen who has done something like this where he measures the temperature of the smoke before and after the filter. This one is with a 9mm balsa and I think he’s done one with 9mm activated charcoal filters, too.

Maybe the combustion is always the same depending on the blend. Filters help reduce the temperature entering the mouth.

I can’t imagine the type of freight training that happens to a pipe for briar to burn though. It’s frightening to think about. So in that case maybe about 30 degrees difference Artie talks about doesn’t matter.

I read somewhere once thought that some coffee drinkers get used to drinking it so hot that it burns their tongue every time though.
Sorry I was trying to correct some grammar. Double post. Please delete.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

I can’t imagine the type of freight training happens to a pipe for briar to burn though. It’s frightening to think about. So in that case maybe about 30 degrees difference Artie talks about doesn’t matter.

Never believe much on YouTube. If you're producing the same volume of smoke or more than you'd see from a cigarette or cigar, you're smoking the pipe too hot. Though unnecessarily excessive, some like myself produce so little smoke that onlookers assume we're clenching an unlit pipe.

I don't think it's a question of the tobacco, but some pipes do get hotter easier than others, in my experience.
Rarely ever the point of asking about cool smoking pipes though.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
Thick walls will give you some insulation against heat.
But if your packing and cadence is wrong, you will still get a hot smoke.

That said my gourd calabash always gives a cool smoke.
And it’s great with high nic blends
Would have to agree on thick walls what a difference!

Reactions: OzPiper