Whats The Best Way To Clean The Inside Of My Meerschaum Bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I have a new meersch that is getting a black layer inside. I want to clean it without damaging the bowl. I read water is bad for a meersch, so what do you guys use or recommend for such a cleaning. Also it gets hotter than my briar, is that normal for a meerschaumm? Thanks guys.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just use a paper towel scrunched up to clean the bowl out. Water is NOT a problem for meerschaum, ALCOHOL is. Water, hot water, does a great job.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Without water we'd have no meerschaum (nor briar for that matter). What you read (recall where?) was hooey. Hot water is fine, and will also help remove or soften crud in the airway.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I just smoke it, run a cleaner through it, smoke it some more, usually three or four bowls in an evening. I clean pipes on Sunday. Meers get a light scrape with a pipe knife. A paper towel or something similar after the pipe has cooled is not unreasonable. I suggest after cooling so meer won't miss out on any of the dark brew in the bottom and clinging to the sides while its still more or less liquid. Meers love that stuff. Soak up all they can.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I am learning a lot from this forum. It makes being a newbie pipe smoker, a pleasurable relaxing experience. Thanks guys for all your info. :)

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I clean out the bowl after every smoke with a wadded piece of dry paper towel. If a bit of cake has formed, I use a piece of Scotch-Brite, that I cut into 1/2 inch strips, to fit across my finger. I never use a knife or water.

Status
Not open for further replies.