What's the Best Shop to Put a Faux-Amber Stem on an Antique Meer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've got an old pre-colored claw pipe, seen here as it arrived from eBay:
FjdiFkL.jpg

This came to me with an old vulcanite stem, which had turned green and sour. I know these can be reconditioned, but I suspect it had amber when it was new. I took it to Racine & Laramie in San Diego, the owner of which fitted it with a 1930s Catalin stem. Soon after I got home, it fell off a table and the tenon snapped. The old tenon was dark brown, nearly black, of unknown material (I assume bone), and was stuck tight in the shank.
I'd like to have it re-stemmed with something that looks like amber, preferably like the transparent red-orange I see on antique pipes with amber stems. Whoever does it will need to figure out how to remove the old tenon. To which shop should I send it? Can anyone who has had pipes re-stemmed by some or other shops please post photos of their faux-amber? I'd also love to have the bowl and shank cleaned a bit inside, so I could really smoke it again.
I asked this of Condor a while back, ended up not having the necessary funds to spare, and soon forgot who was recommended to me.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Rick Farrer at Briarville Pipe Repair will take care of you. Weezel and myself have been very satisfied with his work.

I just sent him aa old Pioneer Meer today. HATED the stem on that thing so off to Rick it goes. Very good work. This cutty had no stem when I sent it to him, very nice results!...
b9yogHu.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks. That cutty looks nice! I see he has a tortoiseshell color acrylic, so I'll likely order that.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Here's a stem that Ric created for me to replicate the original amber stem. I broke the original and packaged it up with the pipe and sent it to Ric. He produced as close to a replica as I could've hoped for.

jUGO9jG.png
[/url][/img]

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Aimus1, I'm going to send him that photo and ask that he use that color. That looks just like cherry amber (which was very difficult to use for stems).

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Below is a pic of my claw/egg with the original intact. also a couple more pics of the horn with stem by Ric. The lighting on the pics can somewhat distort the color of the stem so you'll notice a little variation between pics.

be6Xjxy.png
[/url][/img]

This is a pic of the horn with original amber stem intact. The original was actually a 3 piece construction. A square piece that met the shank, then a circular disc piece and then the actual mouthpiece.

The replacement that ric turned is one piece. Pretty amazing how it meets the diamond shape shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.