PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I think your overthinking it, at least on this particular forum. Like others have said, it is a good way to acknowledge a comment, without leaving a comment. It keeps the threads from becoming cluttered.
When I first joined this site it was the old format. I got off pipes for a short while and was back to cancer sticks, then back to pipes, life got in the way yada yada. I got back on the forum and noticed the different format, but didn't really think twice about it. Like others, I have notifications turned off. It doesn't appear to have changed the way members interact on here as far as I can tell. It just makes the threads a little less cluttered.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm still confused. How do we dislike something? I see the choices as...
View attachment 184247

One possibility, which I am NOT advocating, would simply be to use the opposite emotion of the stance in the post you're reacting to. For instance, if someone announces something they consider to be good news, you could voice your disapproval with a "sad" or "angry" reaction. Or you could post the "laugh" reaction in response to a serious post you think needed to be taken down a notch.

But I will repeat that I don't think the forum should go down this path, because that kind of passive-aggression is one of many things that has made social media toxic. It's probably a good thing that there isn't such an easy way to mark disagreement because then we either have to find words to continue that discussion, or just move on to something else.

Reactions: Laurent
One possibility, which I am NOT advocating, would simply be to use the opposite emotion of the stance in the post you're reacting to. For instance, if someone announces something they consider to be good news, you could voice your disapproval with a "sad" or "angry" reaction. Or you could post the "laugh" reaction in response to a serious post you think needed to be taken down a notch.

But I will repeat that I don't think the forum should go down this path, because that kind of passive-aggression is one of many things that has made social media toxic. It's probably a good thing that there isn't such an easy way to mark disagreement because then we either have to find words to continue that discussion, or just move on to something else.
In whatever "like" emoticon choice you make, it is still recorded as a reaction, increasing the poster's reaction point count. So, if one really disapproves, it is probably better to just not do anything.

Reactions: Laurent
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
In whatever "like" emoticon choice you make, it is still recorded as a reaction, increasing the poster's reaction point count. So, if one really disapproves, it is probably better to just not do anything.
Oh yeah, I wasn't even thinking about the reaction point score! But yeah, some people take validation from negative responses as well as positive ones, so you're right, better not to reward that in some cases. It's hard not to bite, sometimes! 😅

3. Turn off the reply button.
This is sort of saying that you want to give your opinion and remove yourself from the "conversation" at the same time. It's like eating and having your cake, so to speak.

My problem with the reply button, is that so many people will post me as if they are replying to me, but really they are reacting to someone above or below me in the conversation, and I just get dragged into it by proxy or mistake. Or, someone replies to me, but really is just wanting me to hear new information that had nothing to do with what I said (cough cough) briar lee.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
But yeah, some people take validation from negative responses as well as positive ones,
I once had a poster who claimed not to care what others think point out that a post I had just made had no likes. Now the post was rather fresh, but what was most odd about the reply was that the individual was keeping an eye on the likes.
I wonder, how closely do people look at their likes. I am beginning to think some people may even parse through and study just who is liking what on posts that belong to others.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
This is sort of saying that you want to give your opinion and remove yourself from the "conversation" at the same time. It's like eating and having your cake, so to speak.

My problem with the reply button, is that so many people will post me as if they are replying to me, but really they are reacting to someone above or below me in the conversation, and I just get dragged into it by proxy or mistake. Or, someone replies to me, but really is just wanting me to hear new information that had nothing to do with what I said (cough cough) briar lee.
I think you stated rather well my intent. How do we separate a quote made by someone else from an actual reply. Thank you for the clarification. And yes, this is both a reply to you as well as copying a quote made by someone else, not @Briar Lee , LOL , to add to a point to another post.

regarding turning off the ability to post
See, back in my day, my grandpappy used to slap cows for a living. People would line the cows up, and he would walk down the line, slapping cows. He'd get $0.02 for each cow, but on a large farm, that could mean he'd go home with almost a dollar, and a dollar back then could buy many a cheap assed pipe, so that's why my pipes are worth more than the very best pipes sold today. Now, let me add a musical video to this post that is obnoxious and relevant only to the prices of tea in China. puffy

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
With the site change to the new format, we have the option of liking, disliking, being shocked, etc. with those little icons.

I never got into it. I tried it once or twice and decided it's not for me. If I see something funny, sad, shocking, or whatever, I just internalize it and move on.

Do you value this little nudge in your posts or reaction to posts?

I turned off all notifications, so unless I manually check by chance, I don't ever see a response to any of my comments, quotes or otherwise. Suits me fine, and I don't subject myself to that little dopamine hit that social media has programmed into people because I read awhile back that it's not so good for most people.

This is the only "social media" I have ever engaged in, so it's all quite foreign to me. However, I have read extensively on the subject, which is why I take an active role to disengage from that and keep my interaction 90% in "real life" where reactions seem more... well, real. That is entirely personal preference and I'm not judging at all.

Only reason I sought out this forum many years ago is because I don't converse with pipe smokers (otherwise known as 'pipers') in real space. There's an interesting collection of people here, and while I don't agree with a number of things that come up, I do enjoy being exposed to a different point of view.

I don't think Kevin has ulterior motives... but you never know. I'm just saying that it's not my bag, baby.

But I am interested to know how much it influences people here and if I am perhaps breaking the online social contract by not engaging this way.

It's a weird thing to me.

View attachment 183953
1670041140087.png

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott