Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And for the future man of the house, a nice folding knife, nothing too fancy, but well-made, and maybe fifty or seventy years old by the time it is rediscovered.

Reactions: monty55 and JOHN72

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My Time Capsule

DSC_0004 ROTATED.jpg

A number of years ago I restored the fireplace in our living room. It entailed chipping the pointing back to the mortar and sandblasting all the stone. I tented in the fireplace and over the course of almost a year, chipped and blasted away decades of grime, soot and a hideous raised, white pointing. That hole in the back right corner is the old ash dump. It goes all the way down to the basement, but there isn't any way to clean it out. It's basically an 6'x6'x8' open stone foundation that the original early 1950's builder figured would never get enough ash dumped down in it to worry about. Since i was closing it up and putting in a woodstove, I shoveled all of the sandblast grit down the hole, then threw in the time capsule.

Fireplace tent 2 1-07.jpg

fireplace 1.jpg

_MG_4825_edit.jpg

_MG_4805A_edit.jpg

I happen to have a Mylar bag vacuum sealer, so I made up a package of these pictures, pictures of our family, my business card from the Philadelphia Inquirer, a copy of the paper with a front page picture that I had made that week, a copy of our utility bills, copies of the deeds to the property going back to the late 1700's, the business card of the mason that did the new pointing and a personal note to the future finder.

_MG_4832_edit.jpg

_MG_5755_edit.jpg

Who knows if it will ever be found? My guess is that this 5 acre property in the woods will some day be worth a lot more than the old house that sits on it. This house will be demolished and a McMansion will rise in its place. But, if it were me finding the time capsule, 20, 30 or 40 years from now, I'd greatly appreciate that someone thought enough of me to preserve a little slice of who and what had come before.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My Time Capsule

A number of years ago I restored the fireplace in our living room. It entailed chipping the pointing back to the mortar and sandblasting all the stone. I tented in the fireplace and over the course of almost a year, chipped and blasted away decades of grime, soot and a hideous raised, white pointing. That hole in the back right corner is the old ash dump. It goes all the way down to the basement, but there isn't any way to clean it out. It's basically an 6'x6'x8' open stone foundation that the original early 1950's builder figured would never get enough ash dumped down in it to worry about. Since i was closing it up and putting in a woodstove, I shoveled all of the sandblast grit down the hole, then threw in the time capsule.

View attachment 215047

View attachment 215048

View attachment 215037

View attachment 215036

I happen to have a Mylar bag vacuum sealer, so I made up a package of these pictures, pictures of our family, my business card from the Philadelphia Inquirer, a copy of the paper with a front page picture that I had made that week, a copy of our utility bills, copies of the deeds to the property going back to the late 1700's, the business card of the mason that did the new pointing and a personal note to the future finder.

View attachment 215038

View attachment 215039

Who knows if it will ever be found? My guess is that this 5 acre property in the woods will some day be worth a lot more than the old house that sits on it. This house will be demolished and a McMansion will rise in its place. But, if it were me finding the time capsule, 20, 30 or 40 years from now, I'd greatly appreciate that someone thought enough of me to preserve a little slice of who and what had come before.
My fraternity house had an ash shoot in the fire place. The house was cut in half and physically moved (from Haggadorn to MAC in East Lansing), creating a 4 inch "step" throughout the middle of the house.

As a result of the "step", the ash shoot didn't line up with the access "door" in the basement. If the house ever gets demolished, there will be a massive amount of beer cans and bottle caps that were trapped in the shoot.

Nice work, by the way, and a great time capsule as well.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My fraternity house had an ash shoot in the fire place. The house was cut in half and physically moved (from Haggadorn to MAC in East Lansing), creating a 4 inch "step" throughout the middle of the house.

As a result of the "step", the ash shoot didn't line up with the access "door" in the basement. If the house ever gets demolished, there will be a massive amount of beer cans and bottle caps that were trapped in the shoot.

Nice work, by the way, and a great time capsule as well.
The Amish have fraternities? Interesting... The ones here in TN don't or they would be much larger communities, I think.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
My Time Capsule

View attachment 215047

View attachment 215048

View attachment 215037

View attachment 215036

View attachment 215038

View attachment 215039

This is one FINE fireplace renovation!!

• Love

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
My Time Capsule

View attachment 215047

View attachment 215048

View attachment 215037

View attachment 215036

View attachment 215038

View attachment 215039

Outstanding job! I love it!

So you just put the mylar bag of goodies down in the hole with sand and debris?

You might want to do some small engraving on the new stone directly above the hole, in order to at least give future owners the opportunity to notice that there is something underneath that is worth looking for... before they have it demolished.

• Love