PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Its those 'interesting' glass panels that were popular for a time, I would assume hand blown, but someone else will know better...

I like the nipple and egg theory though too, don't go ruling them out!
The more I look at it, the more it really does look like someone threw a bunch of fried eggs at the window. I'm kicking myself now for making this post instead of writing a Trustworthy Tobacco Review about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mortonbriar has it. I've seen those decorative glass panes in 19th Century buildings, maybe some earlier. They were probably subliminal erotica nipples. The 19th Century is when people put frilly skirts on the legs of pianos so as to not show the piano legs. Which gave rise to the wry remark, a dirty mind is a perpetual feast.

I cannot give an absolutely correct answer with 100% confirmable proof. But, I seem to recall panels from the windows from this time period in a museum, where the spheres, globes of the world are depicted. The Elizabethan era was when the world was explored as a globe for the first time, using the new sciences. So, it would make sense. And, since tin art is such a teeny tiny representation of these windows, they come across more as nipples.

That is my best guess.

1637004867653.png

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mortonbriar has it. I've seen those decorative glass panes in 19th Century buildings, maybe some earlier. They were probably subliminal erotica nipples. The 19th Century is when people put frilly skirts on the legs of pianos so as to not show the piano legs. Which gave rise to the wry remark, a dirty mind is a perpetual feast.
nope people put frilly skirt on the legs of tables and pianos to protect them not to hide the legs. But interestingly the Americans said the Brits did that and the Brits said the Americans did. Basically both said the others where a bunch of prudes who couldn't handle the titillation of a table leg.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and Toast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I can just remember that, I can impress my wife the next time we are touring some historical house. Oh, look, Crown Glass!

Frilly skirts to protect the legs of furniture? From what? I go with the earlier explanation. Back then, a woman showing even a little leg was committing a scandal. Yes, I'm sure the Yanks and the Brits tossed the blame for that back and forth. It was pretty crazy, and you want to put it off on someone else. People go nuts with household embellishments, bed clothes and window treatments especially, and elaborate vocabulary to go with them.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Well, talk about a mystery with a disappointing solve. Here I was thinking that the tin art was supposed to convey that that particular tobacco had an aroma so divine and manly that random women passing by on the sidewalk would spontaneously develop an overwhelming urge to press their naked bosoms into your window.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just spotted this in a little book I have called 'Lost crafts'

"Glass blowing could even be used to make window glass. Initially, this was done by flattening the sphere of molten glass out on a surface, making a disc with a 'crown' at the centre where the pontil had been attached. Later, a technique was developed in which a cylinder was formed, cut open and laid flat...later with the industrial revolution came the machine method for making plate glass".

Jun 25, 2021
England
Obviously not the case with crown glass, but the reason why plate glass appears distorted in very old buildings, is because glass is a liquid, an extremely viscous and brittle liquid, but a liquid nonetheless.

Over the course of centuries it runs down, so the bottom of the pane is thicker than the top.

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Obviously not the case with crown glass, but the reason why plate glass appears distorted in very old buildings, is because glass is a liquid, an extremely viscous and brittle liquid, but a liquid nonetheless.

Over the course of centuries it runs down, so the bottom of the pane is thicker than the top.
I had no idea. That's actually fascinating..