Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it were me, I'd just smoke it. Carrying a torch for blends seems unnecessary with so many blends available. I really enjoyed a number of blends no longer made or no longer available, but that doesn't cramp my style. I've found others.

Unless ... the idea of a quest appeals to you and you want to make a second "hobby" out of that. It could be fun, if you're not banking on it. You might find a different good blend along the way, not the same, but maybe just as pleasing.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also can I ask. Does a store “blend” require that it is more than simply a renamed “brand” blend I.e. does Brigadoon have to have not only Lane HGL but a dash of something else to allow B&M’s to rename it?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Plenty of examples where a store just puts bulk in a jar and sticks their unique name on the jar.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Plenty of examples where a store just puts bulk in a jar and sticks their unique name on the jar.
This. Having worked at a pipe shop where the “house” bulks were all from Lane and Stokkebye, I was surprised how often I came across those exact same blends in other shops’ jars, each with its own unique name. And, in my experience, some shops can be maddeningly coy about their bulks. Not everyone will come right out and admit that “Bob’s Own Blend” is just RLP-6 or that “Danish Delight” is really 1-Q.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
The moment I realized it was worrying me I would smoke it. If it wasn’t pestering me in the back of my mind I would wait until it did!

Reactions: pcfdave

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Also can I ask. Does a store “blend” require that it is more than simply a renamed “brand” blend I.e. does Brigadoon have to have not only Lane HGL but a dash of something else to allow B&M’s to rename it?
I can only speak for the industry as I knew it in the 1980s and early 1990s. There were some blends that we carried that we mixed ourselves. 90% of the Blends we carried were straight from the bag and renamed to fit the personality of the store and its customers.
Lane limited was a was one of the biggest suppliers of bulk tobacco in those days. Their 1Q, (Captain Black Blue) was the best selling blend in most shops that carried it. The Tinderbox chain called it Wilshire, in the stores I managed it was called Holmes #1. If I remember correctly Holmes #2 was Lane BCA. Lane BLWB we sold under the name of Longbottom Leaf. They're always seems to be plenty of Sherlock Holmes and Tolkien fans in pipe shops, at least in those days.

I don't know of any regulations that have mandated the blend be changed before renaming. The common practice for most shops in those days was to name the tobacco after something they thought appeal to their clientele, be it a reference to Tolkien, Sherlock Holmes or a local mountain or river. Basically we looked for an image, personally or concept the customers would identify with.

I have made one visit to a local cigar and wine store that does have a small tobacco bar and carries a few blends. In the case of the Cornell and Dietz tobaccos I saw on their bar, they were just using C&Ds own name. I bought some of their C&D Bayou Morning.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Smoke it. Life’s too short and tomorrow is never guaranteed. Play that old vintage guitar, ask out the beautiful woman, drink the limited edition liquor, smell the flowers and marvel at the sunsets. Smoke the wonderful tobacco.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Cascade just renamed other bulk blends, mostly Lane & Stokkebye. Try Lane HGL as others have said, and also maybe Stokkebye English Luxury. Save what you have now to compare. You could also try calling/emailing Cascade to see if they'll tell you what it was. Worth trying several different workers there.

Also, Lane HGL is just Capt Black White (RLP-6 in bulk) with Latakia added.

Last edited:

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
So much great info and input. It’s what makes this community great! Thanks

Reactions: orvet