What Would a Pipe Smoker in 1921 Have to Say About Pipe Smoking in 2021?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, a jacket and tie were the dress of a landowner and suitable for farm work, hunting and fishing, as photographs of the period show. And yeah, "crackers" tend to be anyone who doesn't look like they have as much as the speaker does. I know from kicking around the boonies, some "crackers" are good folks, and some "crackers" are filthy rich. Some crackers in the Everglades shared their fried turtle with us college kids and it was fine.
Mebbe. I wonder about some of this. Decades ago having your picture taken was not a casual thing. It wouldn't be beyond consideration to dress up a bit for such an occasion.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
I just finished a great book about English life in 1914, on the eve and early months of the First World War. Things we take for granted now were unheard of then. For instance for Christmas 1914, grocers started offering fully cooked turkeys and sides that just needed heating up in the oven. It was unheard of before.

I wonder how someone plucked out of 1921 would find pipe smoking today. My guess is they would be astonished at the variety and availability of pipes and tobacco, but confused that there are hardly any B&Ms from which to buy them.

I would rather this not go into a *things were much better in the past* because I certainly don't think so, but what observations do you think an average 1921 pipe smoker would make of everything today?

d7888c679c2d4617c3168d4f04750161.jpg
I don't think they would ever comprehend the spectacle of a J. F. Germain's "Esoterica Drop" and the related aftermarket sales. I've been living through them and I'm still amazed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't think they would ever comprehend the spectacle of a J. F. Germain's "Esoterica Drop" and the related aftermarket sales. I've been living through them and I'm still amazed.
Oh, for sure. This, like many other strange human actions, brings into question the very idea of intelligent life on Earth.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every picture of my great grandfather, he is wearing a full suit and tie, whether he is on the tractor or working on the car. I am just amazed at what I see some men wear nowadays, even to a really nice restaurant or church.
Agreed - jeans are worn everywhere now.

often reminded me the good old days weren't always that good
This is almost always forgotten by people who yearn for the 'good old day's.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A pipe smoker transported to today from 1921 would be dumfounded at the prices for a pipe and a tin of tobacco. He would laugh and vow to quit smoking forever. From the numbers of pipes owned by one person, he would assume we were either starting a pipe shop or museum. The variety of shapes, sizes, and finishes would be fascinating but not tempting -- too many. Likewise the variety of blends would make him grab one of the old codger blends still around from the old days and turn his back on the rest. Even a fine gent in spats would say, "Too fancy for me."
But once the pipe smoker of 1921 was told about inflation, he would realize that the $10 pipe he bought in 1921 would cost him roughly $146 dollars in 2021. (I used the online inflation calculator: https://www.in2013dollars.com/us) The same with the cost of tobacco. An ounce of bulk tobacco we pay $4.65 for today would have only cost around 32 cents back then. Of course, that doesn't take into account other factors such as what tobacco shops were actually charging back then.

Everything else you stated, I tend to agree with.

Indeed....where are the speak easy tobacconists??
And underground smoking lounges?

It would be more interesting to select half o dozen of US and send them to 1920. I'm sure the first things a few of us would say is, "so, what do I wipe my ass with?" and, "Why does everything and everybody stink so bad here?"