What works better, Mason Jar VS (See pic inside)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Konstantin Shekita Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
2 Fresh Pete Prevost Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have no clue what this type jar is called and am a tad too lazy ATM to search, sorry :/
But the pouch I bought today and it does not zip completely shut so i went to my local craft store and bought this jar for $5.00. They had a Mason style jar beside it but I eventually decided to go with this one bellow for ease of lid removal.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I use these jars for my tobacco. You can get these at Walmart for about $3.00 each. They look better than Mason Jars but more expensive and the wife likes them.
DSCN1021.jpg

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
@ Chris, I believe it will do,the job... And I can't forget GO HALOS!!! HAHAHAHA
@ mthanded, those are really nice. Nice wall mount and everything, perfect :)

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
just make sure it's sealed good. for the stuff i'm not "cellaring", i use some plastics (for stacking convenience) - and i find i need to keep a sheet of plastic (saran wrap, sandwich bag, etc.) in the mix to make damn sure the covers seal properly.
doody.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'll go with Roth on this one. Mason jars are tried and true for long term storage, how much tobacco are you willing to bet on something else?

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Me too....Ball or Kerr, Mason type jars for long term. But for stuff I'm getting into a lot, I love the wide mouth wire top jars. I think Lawrence calls them "bail top" jars. I'm not sure why, but I have to have glass; anything else like the shatterproof makes me cringe. It's one of the ways my OCD symptoms quirks manifest themselves.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Mason jars for the win... those silicone sealed jars work fine for the blends your currently smoking... but if your planning on aging any tobacco's, then I would say you really need to invest a whopping $8 at wallyworld for a case of wide mouth canning jars.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
It looks to me that you have captain black in that jar? If you have an OTC blend the pouch will keep it smokable for a least a few months because of the amount of preservatives. Everything else you asked has already been answered above, I really like that jar btw :)

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, good advice all around. Short term storage, under 3 months, the jar is fine. Long term storage, Mason jars are hard to beat.
BTW mate, you have some fine looking pipes there.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use the Walmart jars for opened stuff I am currently smoking. I use the Mason/Ball/Kerr jars for stuff I am cellaring.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks everyone, this is good for now then since I'm not planing on hoarding yet lol,
Also, in that jar is a blend from my local tobacco shop. It's called Coventry, mostly vanilla taste. Very similar to a black and mid really, I need to get me some good stuff.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
since I'm not planing on hoarding yet lol,
Dont look at it like hoarding... look at it like an investment. Tobacco will only go up in price, never back down... so buy as much as you can now so that when it gets too ridiculous you dont have to worry about dropping a whole lot of money for little tobacco.

Also... its NEVER to early to start. :puffy:

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
I use the wlmart jars for stuff I smoke alot,Mason JArs for the celler.The short squaty kerr jars great foor a two oz tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.