What/Who Influenced You to Start Pipe Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
May of last year I picked up the pipe for the first time. I was inspired by my uncle. When I was a child I would sit in his living room and he would smoke a pipe. I loved everything about it... the process of packing, lighting and smoking. The smell was amazing and something I still remember.

So, one day I thought based on that childhood experience I should try it myself. I bought a cob and some BCA. It hasn't been always easy to learn, but it has been wonderful hobby. I don't smoke in the house, so with winter being here, I am not smoking much these days. Looking forward to better weather... spring has got to come!

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
May of last year I picked up the pipe for the first time. I was inspired by my uncle. When I was a child I would sit in his living room and he would smoke a pipe. I loved everything about it... the process of packing, lighting and smoking. The smell was amazing and something I still remember.

So, one day I thought based on that childhood experience I should try it myself. I bought a cob and some BCA. It hasn't been always easy to learn, but it has been wonderful hobby. I don't smoke in the house, so with winter being here, I am not smoking much these days. Looking forward to better weather... spring has got to come!
docrameous, Spring will come.. glad that you saw your uncle indulged in the hobby.. My uncle too loved smoking pipe long back.. But now.. he mostly smokes Bidi. Bidi is popular in India.. and is getting popular in States (flavored ones).. Indian Non Aromatic Bidis are high in nicotine content! But they smell awful.. unbearable for people around..
Hope you'll enjoy the smokes and blends in Springs n Summers..

Happy Piping! puffy

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
docrameous, Spring will come.. glad that you saw your uncle indulged in the hobby.. My uncle too loved smoking pipe long back.. But now.. he mostly smokes Bidi. Bidi is popular in India.. and is getting popular in States (flavored ones).. Indian Non Aromatic Bidis are high in nicotine content! But they smell awful.. unbearable for people around..
Hope you'll enjoy the smokes and blends in Springs n Summers..

Happy Piping! puffy
I tried bidis wrapped with eucalyptus leaf back in '99/2000, but haven't seen them around at any shops in recent years. I recall them being pretty enjoyable, but most of my friends emptied them out and refilled with another herb back then?

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I tried bidis wrapped with eucalyptus leaf back in '99/2000, but haven't seen them around at any shops in recent years. I recall them being pretty enjoyable, but most of my friends emptied them out and refilled with another herb back then?
Another herb sounds so promising! ??️
Bidis are enjoyed by people belonging to 70's and 80's in India. Newer generations are mostly into Cigarettes and Cigars.

Reactions: rushx9

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
For me, it was a combination of my father, and a good friend in the Navy. You see while both of my parents were cigarette smokers growing up, (both have since quit), I was never a smoker. BUT I remember as a young lad, younger than 10, Dad had a little round pipe rack and 4 pipes. I always loved the smell when he smoked it. I like the smell of pipe tobacco.

Fast forward to roughly 1998. A dear friend from the Navy had just gotten out and was looking for a place to put down roots. My wife and I let him stay with us for a few months. He was a smoker, AND had a pipe. One day while we were out walking I asked if he'd teach me how to smoke a pipe. He tried to disuade me, but when it was clear to him it was something I wanted to do he agreed, so I bought a drugstore special that cost me about $20 and began my first foray into the world of the pipe.
During another of our evening walks he accidentally broke my pipe, and decided to buy me a new one. That new pipe was an $85+ Savinelli...

A couple of years after he moved back east I put the pipe down. Later I let a friend borrow it and he smoked ciggarette tobacco in it so I gave it to him thinking I would never pipe again anyhow.

Fast forward a couple more years, and its Summer 2019. Im in the pool at a friends house, were having a good time just talking and si[pping at various drinks (mine was scotch) and he brings out a cigar. He offers me one as well. I declined as I dont care for them, so he offered a pipe (I think he knew I'd once smoked a pipe but I cant recall) I took him up on that, liked it so much that I asked my wife to let me have one.
That same friend later took me to Ye Olde Pipe in Phoenix, where he bought my bent billiard and some tobacco as an early birthday gift.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
For me, it was a combination of my father, and a good friend in the Navy. You see while both of my parents were cigarette smokers growing up, (both have since quit), I was never a smoker. BUT I remember as a young lad, younger than 10, Dad had a little round pipe rack and 4 pipes. I always loved the smell when he smoked it. I like the smell of pipe tobacco.

Fast forward to roughly 1998. A dear friend from the Navy had just gotten out and was looking for a place to put down roots. My wife and I let him stay with us for a few months. He was a smoker, AND had a pipe. One day while we were out walking I asked if he'd teach me how to smoke a pipe. He tried to disuade me, but when it was clear to him it was something I wanted to do he agreed, so I bought a drugstore special that cost me about $20 and began my first foray into the world of the pipe.
During another of our evening walks he accidentally broke my pipe, and decided to buy me a new one. That new pipe was an $85+ Savinelli...

A couple of years after he moved back east I put the pipe down. Later I let a friend borrow it and he smoked ciggarette tobacco in it so I gave it to him thinking I would never pipe again anyhow.

Fast forward a couple more years, and its Summer 2019. Im in the pool at a friends house, were having a good time just talking and si[pping at various drinks (mine was scotch) and he brings out a cigar. He offers me one as well. I declined as I dont care for them, so he offered a pipe (I think he knew I'd once smoked a pipe but I cant recall) I took him up on that, liked it so much that I asked my wife to let me have one.
That same friend later took me to Ye Olde Pipe in Phoenix, where he bought my bent billiard and some tobacco as an early birthday gift.
adui, you did left pipe but somewhat somehow pipe never gave up on you.. that's an awesome old memoir.. Thank you for sharing!
Enjoy your hobby to fullest
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: adui

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A cousin gave me a pipe that his father was given on graduation from university, and I was at the same place, so I asked around and found a Dean who smoked. That was 1963/4. He gave me good advice, and some Burlington Arcade, which became my favorite until I put them away ca. 1973. Resumed about five years ago, and have become a maniac.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Many told me that pipe smoking is a connoisseur thing.. they seemed right the first hand! puffy
I remember as a kid enjoying the smell of pipes and feeling like it was a club for weird mystical man stuff. I remember cig smokers seeming like weirdos who enjoyed torture. But pipe smokers seemed to be in on some secret. I also remember wondering if it tasted as amazing as it smells. I guess it was just in the cards.

mburns

Lurker
Feb 21, 2020
I always remember my Uncle Norman visiting my grandparents, there was something about the aroma of his pipe that I liked, it was a cut above their Embassy Red. I always watched with interest the men in the pub who had pipes, something of the ritual appealed to me. I bought my first pipe as a curate after chatting to a parishioner who was a pipe smoker, he introduced me to the local tobacconist, and the wonderful world of tobacco and pipes. As @anotherbob says, there something about pipe smokers that suggests a secret, my neighbour looks at peace with the world smoking his falcon whilst tending to his lawn.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
My wife and I bought some land to start our little farm, and I constantly had to consult the farmer next door to learn how to do things. He always had a pipe with him, either in his mouth or his pocket. It smelled good to me and seemed to relax him when he would take it out and puff on it in the middle of things. I caught sight of him a few times sitting under a tree or walking along the edge of the forest puffing away, and it seemed so meditative. I gave it a shot, under his tutelage, and really enjoyed it.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
My wife and I bought some land to start our little farm, and I constantly had to consult the farmer next door to learn how to do things. He always had a pipe with him, either in his mouth or his pocket. It smelled good to me and seemed to relax him when he would take it out and puff on it in the middle of things. I caught sight of him a few times sitting under a tree or walking along the edge of the forest puffing away, and it seemed so meditative. I gave it a shot, under his tutelage, and really enjoyed it.
Magpiety, what was the year you began?
Hope the hobby is appeasing your tastebuds well..
Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I always remember my Uncle Norman visiting my grandparents, there was something about the aroma of his pipe that I liked, it was a cut above their Embassy Red. I always watched with interest the men in the pub who had pipes, something of the ritual appealed to me. I bought my first pipe as a curate after chatting to a parishioner who was a pipe smoker, he introduced me to the local tobacconist, and the wonderful world of tobacco and pipes. As @anotherbob says, there something about pipe smokers that suggests a secret, my neighbour looks at peace with the world smoking his falcon whilst tending to his lawn.
mburns, what was the year you began?
Pipe Smoking do really feels like peaceful apart from other form of Smokings.. I hope the hobby payed you well..
Enjoy your smokes and blends
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: Magpiety

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
A cousin gave me a pipe that his father was given on graduation from university, and I was at the same place, so I asked around and found a Dean who smoked. That was 1963/4. He gave me good advice, and some Burlington Arcade, which became my favorite until I put them away ca. 1973. Resumed about five years ago, and have become a maniac.
jpmcwjr, that's the beauty of Pipe Smoking.. it doesn't lead one to lane of addiction.. welcome back! and hope you are enjoying your smokes and blends!
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I remember as a kid enjoying the smell of pipes and feeling like it was a club for weird mystical man stuff. I remember cig smokers seeming like weirdos who enjoyed torture. But pipe smokers seemed to be in on some secret. I also remember wondering if it tasted as amazing as it smells. I guess it was just in the cards.
anotherbob, My first pipes, Missouri Prides are on the way from States to India.. and I'm eagerly waiting to try my first blends with those.. My uncle did use to smoke pipes long back.. some 20+ years ago and the aroma of smoke eventually got fainted from my mind. What I remember though is my cousins never complained their father's smoking pipe habit back then.. later on sadly he switched to smoking Bidis..

If it tasted as amazing as it smells.. It will be my biggest intervention with Bona Fide Smoking!

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: anotherbob

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
This took place late in 2014, I've been enjoying pipe tobacco for just over 5 years. My tastebuds have been very happy! Hope it's the same for you.
Magpiety, eagerly waiting for my first Missouri Pride Cob pipes from SP. Wanted to begin humble with Macbarens and Amphora which are readily available from New Delhi.. Hope it turns out good..

Thank You..
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: Magpiety
Short answer is ... “I don’t know”, but it will not stop me from writing a story, the way I would imagine it to be!

There was a very active urban elite culture of smoking a pipe in India till about 1960s. More so in Kolkata, India where the culture, the food, the architecture has a lot of British influence. By late 70s and 80s the culture of pipe smoking had mostly faded but the vestiges remained. In most movies from 60s-70s there would be characters with a gravitas who would smoke a pipe. Also, urban families would sometimes have pipes, a relic of the past where someone in the family used to smoke.
As long as I could remember I had seen one of my uncle had a pipe. He did not smoke it - he inherited it from another of my uncle. When I was living in a dorm during the college days, I was looking to smoke something cheaper than a cigarette and soon switched to RYO. At that time, Indian RYO tobacco and Pipe Tobacco was mostly the same. Popular brands were Capstan Blue, Gold Flake (Which I believe is Capstan Gold) and Van Gogh (Which If I remember correctly is a Red Va blend). When I was rolling the cigarettes - I remembered the pipe of my uncle. Very soon I got it from him. If I remember it correctly it was gently smoked Dunhill Prince in a group 2 size. Of course I did not know the value of the pipe at that time - and I smoked it like a cigarette. Very soon I broke the tenon, and threw away the stem. That ended my initial misadventure with a very expensive pipe. I don’t consider that phase pipe smoking and it lasted about a month or so. However, I still remember how that Dunhill smoked compared to a basket pipe my buddy bought.
I had a work colleague who would smoke a pipe. While I was never thought of picking up the pipe again at that time, I appreciated the fantastic room note he generated from his aromatic tobacco.
Fast forward to May 2017. I don’t know what was the trigger, but one morning I woke up and decided that I will smoke a pipe and cigar from that day. I drove to a B&M and picked up a Meerschaum Pipe, one ounce of Lane 1-Q and a bunch of cigars (Mostly Padron). I came back home, smoked the 1-Q and thoroughly enjoyed it. The same day I discovered this forum, learnt about various tobacco and went back to the B&M to buy a nicer / better selection of tobacco.
In 2017 I smoked for about 5 months. I enjoyed it too much - but then one day in September- I felt that I am too involved with Pipe Smoking - and stopped suddenly. On that day.
I had my pipes and my tobaccos. Next couple of years I would smoke an occasional bowl (2 / 3 times in two years). Then come July 2019 - I suddenly decided that I want to smoke a pipe again. And then the story continues...

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Short answer is ... “I don’t know”, but it will not stop me from writing a story, the way I would imagine it to be!

There was a very active urban elite culture of smoking a pipe in India till about 1960s. More so in Kolkata, India where the culture, the food, the architecture has a lot of British influence. By late 70s and 80s the culture of pipe smoking had mostly faded but the vestiges remained. In most movies from 60s-70s there would be characters with a gravitas who would smoke a pipe. Also, urban families would sometimes have pipes, a relic of the past where someone in the family used to smoke.
As long as I could remember I had seen one of my uncle had a pipe. He did not smoke it - he inherited it from another of my uncle. When I was living in a dorm during the college days, I was looking to smoke something cheaper than a cigarette and soon switched to RYO. At that time, Indian RYO tobacco and Pipe Tobacco was mostly the same. Popular brands were Capstan Blue, Gold Flake (Which I believe is Capstan Gold) and Van Gogh (Which If I remember correctly is a Red Va blend). When I was rolling the cigarettes - I remembered the pipe of my uncle. Very soon I got it from him. If I remember it correctly it was gently smoked Dunhill Prince in a group 2 size. Of course I did not know the value of the pipe at that time - and I smoked it like a cigarette. Very soon I broke the tenon, and threw away the stem. That ended my initial misadventure with a very expensive pipe. I don’t consider that phase pipe smoking and it lasted about a month or so. However, I still remember how that Dunhill smoked compared to a basket pipe my buddy bought.
I had a work colleague who would smoke a pipe. While I was never thought of picking up the pipe again at that time, I appreciated the fantastic room note he generated from his aromatic tobacco.
Fast forward to May 2017. I don’t know what was the trigger, but one morning I woke up and decided that I will smoke a pipe and cigar from that day. I drove to a B&M and picked up a Meerschaum Pipe, one ounce of Lane 1-Q and a bunch of cigars (Mostly Padron). I came back home, smoked the 1-Q and thoroughly enjoyed it. The same day I discovered this forum, learnt about various tobacco and went back to the B&M to buy a nicer / better selection of tobacco.
In 2017 I smoked for about 5 months. I enjoyed it too much - but then one day in September- I felt that I am too involved with Pipe Smoking - and stopped suddenly. On that day.
I had my pipes and my tobaccos. Next couple of years I would smoke an occasional bowl (2 / 3 times in two years). Then come July 2019 - I suddenly decided that I want to smoke a pipe again. And then the story continues...
cshubhra, India did hold great amount of eminent personas who loved their pipes. Be it Satyajit Ray, Raaj Kumar, Pranab Mukherjee and plethora.. and the beauty of Pipe Smoking being.. It doesn't get one into addiction. As you quoted the Dunhill Pipe you inherited from your uncle and it's unfortunate fate.. I feel it's okay.. Thing was that you enjoyed the pipe smoking back then.. being Dunhills are highly appreciated among Pipe Community.
Glad you are back into the hobby again. And man you got great memories of hobby from India alike.. inclusive of great recommendations of blends you got..
Enjoy your smokes to the fullest
May you never run outta pipe, tobacco and sparks!
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: cshubhra