PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabuelhaj

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
I bought a pipe from an antique store. I assumed it was meerschaum, but I think I could be wrong. There was a heavy cake in it, yet the pipe is still a white color. It says that it is made in Turkey and nothing else. After researching about meerschaum more, I am under the impression that it could be ivory. Its as light as a corn cob (All I know are corn cobs). Whenever I google ivory pipes, all I get are pictures of meerschaums. I obviously don't know if Ivory pipes are really a thing either. Is it most likely meerschaum or is it something else? I know that it is not painted over because its really detailed and hand carved. It must be smokeable since whoever had it before me smoked the crap out of it.

Any help is appreciated.

I was going to post a picture, but not sure how. You can see it (sorta) in my avatar.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's a meerschaum, an Ivory pipe would crack almost instantly. Meerschaum can be quite light, when carved correctly. Enjoy your find.
Also, meerschaum needs no cake, so you can carefully remove the cake and keep it like that.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd +1 what philobeddoe wrote. Ivory wouldn't cope well with heat at all and if it didn't crack, it would probably give off a foul smell, like burning hair. Meerschaum can take a while to colour and may never do so if it has been smoked really hot. If you want to try and get it to colour you can try polishing it with beeswax whilst the pipe is still warm from smoking.
Sounds like you got a good find! Hope you enjoy smoking it and welcome to the forum :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forum - you'll find this is a great place to hang out. I have nothing to add to the fine input so far. From what I can see in your avatar, you've got a nice meer there, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.