PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokin10smitty

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2011
Indiana
...to buying a new blend with no prior opinion?
When you walk in/log on to your favorite dealer, you may have a few things you KNOW you'll get, but then something catches your eye. Why? Brand? Artwork? Catchy one-liner about the blend? What does it for you and a new experience?

Jul 15, 2011
Wow, you do NOT want to know what I thought I was going to read when I clicked on this. 8O
In all seriousness, I do a lot of research before buying any blend, generally, as previous experience has taught me. The last tobacco that I bought on a whim was a carton of Half and Half, and it turned out pretty good. I also picked up a pouch of Paladin Cherry tobacco that I know nothing about. The only reason I grabbed it was because I had never tried it and it was at my B&M. Haven't ripped into it yet though.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
When I started smoking a pipe a few months ago, I just went with catchy blend names and tin art. I had no idea what the difference between the blends were. As I would smoke each blend I would try to figure out what made the blend what it was as I decided whether or not I liked It. Now I try to look for what is in the blend to make up my mind. I mostly enjoy VaPers right now. I will admit though, that I still get suckered with a catchy name. Haven't had many bad experiences though with any blend.

smokin10smitty

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2011
Indiana
Haha I knew I'd sucker a few of you gutter-minds in here :P
Off topic a bit and @Robert76, what are some common VaPers you'd recommend. I've been wanting try a good one!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i have a list of tobaccos i'd like to try based on reviews and opinions from others, so don't foresee trying anything on impulse with no prior knowledge for a while.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
@Robert76, what are some common VaPers you'd recommend. I've been wanting try a good one!
I'm really liking Peterson Irish Oak right now. I thought Villiger 1888 After Dinner and bulk Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake were also worth a try.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I have to buy all online so if I buy something that wasn't recommended then it's based on the description the site gives.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I generally do some research prior to purchasing. I spend some time on Tobacco Reviews. I also read a lot on this forum and find out what people are smoking a lot. I feel if my fellow pipe smokers enjoy a blend time and time again, it must be good. I have purchased some tins for the name or artwork a few times, if it's catchy, but I then check the reviews before placing my order.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
small dimples just above a womens buttocks......oh uh nevermind... :rofl:
I just usually do a little research, whether on the internet, or by word of mouth, if anything else, the descriction either calls or it doesnt

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't buy tobacco on a whim often. I'm active in Yahoo Pipesmokers2, as well as here, and get ideas from there. I read Pipes and Tobacco Magazine. I peruse Tobaccoreviews.com. All of these allow me to come up with ideas for blends I want to try, and make a note.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's a mixture of reasons. I certainly value recommendations from other people based on what I have already liked. I read reviews of blends that have caught my eye for what ever reason. I also know which tobacco types I prefer so look at what is in the blend. One big advantage is that the online retailer I use here in the UK offers all their blends in sample packs. You can order any multiple of 5 grams of any of the pipe tobacco they stock. Even just 5g is enough to know whether I want to try a full tin right now, add it to my "sometime" list or on rare occasions, give it a miss.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I watch a lot of the pipe presenters on YouTube and they usually talk about the tobaccos they are smoking. Sometimes they way they describe them makes me want to try. I do look on tobaccoreviews first since I have an aversion to Latakias (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.