What Tobaccos Were Common in the 18th Century?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Here’s a good read:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Good question, an interesting launching pad for speculation, for sure.

Although I've not much to offer in that regard, I will, however, note that this would be a time in history blessedly devoid of such marketing gimmicks as "small batch" and "special edition." Which would, in my opinion, more than make up for any lack in the quality department.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Good question, an interesting launching pad for speculation, for sure.

Although I've not much to offer in that regard, I will, however, note that this would be a time in history blessedly devoid of such marketing gimmicks as "small batch" and "special edition." Which would, in my opinion, more than make up for any lack in the quality department.

He sure do talk dreary. cray

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I would think any of the G&H shags would burn easily and nicely in a clay as well as have a tinge of the ol Lakeland sauce to give you that old time vibe
@vosBghos Many thanks for the baccy recommendations. I always think of shag as RYO cigarette tobacco and another forum member has suggested twist / rope & plug for re-enactment smoking. @simong recommends SG Cannon Plug as it's rumoured to date back to the English Civil War era.
My preference is for Virginia / Cavendish blends as they seem most suited to the period I'm interested in; I've tried 1792 Flake in a clay and will have to order some more SG Cannon Plug and some Gawith ropes for the Sealed Knot / Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries / Pirate Mutiny events.
I was smoking GH Brown twist in my Old Dominion Jamestown clay at the Battle of Nantwich re-enactment last January and C&D Yorktown at the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event at Cromford Mill. Getting my clay pipe lit with an ember from the blacksmith's forge was an unforgettable experience:)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
After sending all off to China for pre continental rail road project, we only sent hobbit weed to Europe. Yeah, they complain a lot, but hey! English had monopoly on teas!

Reactions: Nevaditude

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I think here in the UK English tobacco's, not grown here but some guy called Sir Walter brought some over from the Americas and we all got hooked, then they started putting additives in them and rolled it in paper, some of us held out and revolted and stuck to pipes, not many, I'm still here, all on my little own. :confused:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I think here in the UK English tobacco's, not grown here but some guy called Sir Walter brought some over from the Americas and we all got hooked, then they started putting additives in them and rolled it in paper, some of us held out and revolted and stuck to pipes, not many, I'm still here, all on my little own. :confused:
@tobakenist You're not alone; I still smoke clay pipes:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoked by who? I think tobacco was introduced from North America through European colonists so was most focused in Virginia, so that is the varietal that England and surrounding islands smoked, I think, and then Europe.

That tobacco originated from the tribes on the eastern coast of colonial North America that is now the U.S.

But burley had to come from someplace, and may have been common with other indigenous nations further west, or in the Caribbean islands.

Tobacco geneticists probably have this all worked out from long ago, so they don't have to guess as much as I do.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Gawith Hoggarth posted on its FB page a Sam Gawith price list from the 1880s. There were no plugs and nothing looked obviously scented. I'm wondering if these sorts of tobacco are more recent innovations. Here's the post:
There are cakes listed, also described as bars, I'd imagine they are more like what we call plugs now, rather than what we now call crumble cakes.