PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyattJohn

Lurker
Mar 4, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hi guys, was wondering if you could help me with making a decision. So far I have smoked Mac Baren Scottish Blend and Ashtons Guilty Pleasures. I liked both but preferred Ashtons. My difficulty is that I’d like to try something else, thats sweet but hearty if that makes sense? I am so far eyeing Maltese Falcon and CAO Eileens Dream. But if you guys could weigh in with some other suggestions or reviews, that would be much appreciated. Cheers, and happy piping!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn as I am only a few months into pipesmoking myself. But I would recommend trying SG Full Virgina Flake, to me it has a distinct natural sweetness that's different from the sticky sweet of aros and it also has a ton of rich flavour if smoked slowly.
Best of luck in finding your next tobacco!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn as I am only a few months into pipesmoking myself. But I would recommend trying SG Full Virgina Flake, to me it has a distinct natural sweetness that's different from the sticky sweet of aros and it also has a ton of rich flavour if smoked slowly.
Best of luck in finding your next tobacco!
I agree with this ^ ^ ^ .

Find one of the Pillar-stone blends and experience. It will give you a better baseline in order to make future purchases. FVF certainly is one of those essential tobaccos to try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd try around with small samples of various genres -- English, Va/Per, Virginias, burley, etc. Aromatics. Right now I'm mentioning three of my favorite C&D bulk blends: Bayou Night, Stratfordshire, and Tuggle Hall, but review their constituent tobaccos to see if those are ones you might like.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Hi guys, was wondering if you could help me with making a decision. So far I have smoked Mac Baren Scottish Blend and Ashtons Guilty Pleasures. I liked both but preferred Ashtons. My difficulty is that I’d like to try something else, thats sweet but hearty if that makes sense? I am so far eyeing Maltese Falcon and CAO Eileens Dream. But if you guys could weigh in with some other suggestions or reviews, that would be much appreciated. Cheers, and happy piping!
As the Ashton is an aro I'll suggest an option for aros. GH&C offers both American Delight and Kentucky Nougat. The American Delight is noticeably lighter but I actually prefer it. The Kentucky Nougat is stronger and the sweetness more noticeable. Both are great and available in bulk when in stock so you can try an oz rather cheap. I'd suggest trying both to see which you prefer before buying larger quantities.

WyattJohn

Lurker
Mar 4, 2020

Hi guys, was wondering if you could help me with making a decision. So far I have smoked Mac Baren Scottish Blend and Ashtons Guilty Pleasures. I liked both but preferred Ashtons. My difficulty is that I’d like to try something else, thats sweet but hearty if that makes sense? I am so far eyeing Maltese Falcon and CAO Eileens Dream. But if you guys could weigh in with some other suggestions or reviews, that would be much apprec
55 printing color copies for low cost

iated. Cheers, and happy piping!

As the Ashton is an aro I'll suggest an option for aros. GH&C offers both American Delight and Kentucky Nougat. The American Delight is noticeably lighter but I actually prefer it. The Kentucky Nougat is stronger and the sweetness more noticeable. Both are great and available in bulk when in stock so you can try an oz rather cheap. I'd suggest trying both to see which you prefer before buying larger quantities.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

I absolutely love Maltese Falcon, but as Bluegrass pointed out above, it's quite different, being an Englist-style blend with Latakia. I actually think it would make a perfect introduction to Latakia blends if you hadn't tried any before. Full of flavor, but mild in nicotine and very easy to smoke.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.