PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's worth smoking the codger burleys just to have experienced them. PA is pretty easy to find. But they are not great smokes, just pleasant.
It's interesting to note how many of the blends listed here as "must try" I have not tried - EMP, 1Q, Captain Black - and I have been smoking a pipe for 40+ years.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
+1 on that. I smoked Borkum Riff and Capt. Black long ago in the 80's. Then Edwards Buccaneer and Goedewaagen (McClelland Tastemaster) almost exclusively until 2002.
So many different blends. One cannot live long enough to try them all. I regret not having tried different tobaccos for 20 years. Now I have at least 12 "favorites", and 71 on my 'want to try list'. So personally, I wouldn't limit myself to essentials. Let your tastebuds be your guide.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Aromatics:

Lane 1Q ( Tnderbox Wilshire)

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

C&D Autumn Evening

WO Larsen Classic

Peterson Sunset Breeze

Solani Geeen

Erik Stokkebye 1897
Virginias:

Orlik Golden Sliced

Samuel Gawith Best Brown

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

McClelland Va 24

MacBaren Navy Flake

MacBaren Dark Twist

macBaren Club Blend

MacBaren Virginia No 1
Virginia Periques:

Reiner Long Golden Sliced

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Rattrays Marlin Flake

Escudo / Davidoff Navy Deluxe Rolls
English:

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Dunhill Nightcap

Dunhill London Mixture

Hearth and Home Black House
Oriental:

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

McClelland Bombay Court
English Aromatic:

Frog Morton (original, on the town, cellar)

Sillems Black

Fussilers Ration
Burley:

Solani Aged Burley Flake

MacBaren Golden Burley

MacBaren London Burley

Ruins of Isengard
Just a tiny list to start with - there are dozens more under each type that I've not listed

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Another fun thing to do is go online and get some actual blending tobaccos. P&C has them under bulk tobacco and you can buy cavendish, perique, burleys, different VAs, turkish etc by the ounce. That way you can try them all individually and mix bowls of different ones to see how they act when paired with each other. It's great fun and you will be able to recognize those tastes when you try a blend.
I did it about a year ago and now I'm making my own fun and interesting blends. I wish I had done it sooner because I'm the type that learns best by doing. Smoking pure Latakia is an experience unto itself and you'll see why it's typically used as a condiment tobacco!

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Though there are other tobaccos that I prefer my vote goes to Nightcap. I went for years without trying 1Q, at least now knowingly, but could have under a different name. Finally picked some up a while back and was very disappointed. Nightcap can be found anywhere that 1Q can be found and to me is heaps more satisfying. As a first time smoker I gravitated towards black cavendish because it smelled sweet and it looked strong. :roll: I only wish I would have had a good tobacconist to steer me in the right direction...

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
It's interesting to note how many of the blends listed here as "must try" I have not tried - EMP, 1Q, Captain Black - and I have been smoking a pipe for 40+ years.
I don't know why, but that really surprises me, Jud. I figure anyone who's been smoking for a few years has gone after EMP if they like their English blends. It's sort of legendary, it seems.
I wasn't thrilled with it. A little more Perique than I like. That being said, my go to for the AM smoke is HH Daybreak which was based off of EMP while it was unavailable in the US a few years back, and my all day smoke is GLP Westminster. I would say everyone should try them, but only if you like Latakia/Oriental blends.
Just had Black House for the first time last night. I see what all the fuss is about. That was delicious. A bit more bold than Blue Mountain. I'm beginning to think C&D components are better than McClelland.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I agree with starting with Lane Limited 1Q. Lane Limited MV-1000 wouldn't be a bad first VA blend, either. They're mild and the flavor is even, they're a good start before trying other more complicated blends.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Chris -- EMP doesn't have any perique in it. It's Va, orientals plus maybe a smidgeon of latakia. It's not one of my faves, either, but none of that fine LA condiment is to be found there. :)
I don't believe one could up with a single tobacco everyone should try. I would be inclined to stick with the time-honored benchmarks -- Nightcap, Full Virginia Flake, 1Q, etc. I would also recommend PA and CH, even if they are OTCs. Some guys feel they are just okay smokes, but I personally think that Carter Hall is far more satisfying and tasty than either of the three standards I just mentioned!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe that every pipe smoker should try their hand at Virginia and Virginia/Perique flakes. In terms of concentrated flavors and complex flavors they are my favorites. What I really enjoy about them is they develop as you smoke them and as you get to the bottom of the bowl, the flavors intensify.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Samuel Gawith Best Brown and St James Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 and Silver Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Cigrmaster, I see you don't include Orlik in your recommendations. I'd like to get into the VA blends but don't want to buy every blend out there. Do you have one or two that you would absolutely recommend?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mthanded, you are correct that I do not include Orlik Golden Sliced. I find it to be a little boring and very grassy and I like so many other flakes better.
Limiting me to only a couple is tough, if I have to pick only one va flake it would be Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake with Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug a close second for va flakes. For vaper flakes Escudo and Solani 633, the Escudo has more perique flavor while the Solani is a sweeter more honey dominant flavor. If you ever see Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake and St James flake you should grab those as well. I know Jrcigars has the Best Brown for the best price on the net at 8.95 a tin.
As of this minute only 4noggins has the Wessex in stock. If you are looking to order right now, grab the wessex and escudo from 4noggins. In my opinion everyone who likes perique should try escudo.
Also if you want to try a va/burley flake the Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is a great one as well. lol There are just too many great flakes out there.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the great advice and information here. I'm stopping by the local (100 miles) B&M to see what they have which, in past experiences, is not a lot. I'll place an order when I get back based on what you guys recommend and start down this new road. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.