PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I will be visiting the Scottish Highlands in a couple of weeks. I have made contact with a pipe club up there who, as it happens, will be having their regular meeting at a time and place that lines up well enough with our travel plans.
Seeing as in America tobacco is cheap and Scotch Whisky is expensive, and that the inverse is true there, I suggested a trade. They agreed.
I have looked it up and am allowed to bring up to 250g (about 8 oz) of tobacco into the UK without raising any suspicions or incurring any special taxes. The club's only specific request was for G.L. Pease's Haddo's Delight. I don't feel like I know enough about fancy tinned tobacco generally to pick 3-4 more 2oz tins that'll really impress, so I'm asking you all.
What brands are not available in the UK? Are there any blend types or ingredients that are more likely to be unique or special? Should I just grab a few more Virginia Perique blends from American blenders and let them taste test it out?
Thanks,

-Lucky

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
You'll likely get more useful suggestions, but my European friends were thrilled to get C+D blends and some Russ Oulette Perique Tins.
I also brought more than 250... they never checked in France or Italy.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I brought a tin of orlik golden sliced when I went to London, turns out they don't have it there.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
So the tobacco gets grown and cured in North America, shipped to Denmark, processed and packaged, and then shipped back to America _without_ any stopping in the UK? Globalization is so weird.
Yeah, I was thinking Hearth and Home, Daughters and Ryan, C&D, and Seattle Pipe Club for the other tins. I hope they bring me as many Scotches to sample!

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Gawith, MacBaren, Dunhill, Rattray can be found, so you are going right with C&D, Pease and HH blends :) .

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
yep basically any of the American producers are non existent in the UK.There is one site that "sells" c+d and Pease blends but whenever I look on their site it is out of stock.

Also none of the OTC American blends are sold in the UK.

As far as I know the only option for Brits is to order from US shippers that will ship overseas or from Switzerland both of which run the risk of import duty

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Well I'm in Scotland, and the range is certainly less than you have from your local sponsors. If you have a look at some UK based sites like GQ, that should give you a pretty good idea of what is available.
When I think of 'must haves' from the US, it's US grown VA or VA/PER blends and GLP latakia blends. Sadly, McClelland VAs would have been the ideal thing to bring over. Maybe a selection of GLP is the way to go, Haddo's Delight, Telegraph Hill, Triple Play, Quiet Nights and Gaslight are favourites of mine.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Sablebrush52- I appreciate the list. I bought everything on it, plus a tin of D&R Picyune. Had to order from two different online retailers (both site sponsors) to get everything in stock.
Styler- I got 2 of the items on your list. I thank you for putting it together, also. Any chance you're taking the ferry across the Kyle next weekend for the AGM?
5 tins of premium tobacco plus shipping still didn't come up to the price of a decent bottle of Scotch in the US, BTW.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Glad you're all sorted out, I'm sure you'll have a grand time.
I joined the KPC several years back, but I must admit to being lax in my communication with them. Between a busy few years of work and family life I've hardly had time to smoke, yet alone get out to the Bothies. That's a beautiful part of Scotland though, I wish you all the best for your trip. Hope you get to enjoy a dram or two, can't guarantee the prices are any more reasonable here though!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It seems that just about everyone who likes English blends likes G.L. Pease Westminster. I first tried it maybe a month or so ago, and it became an instant favorite. It's a very good well-balanced English blend (plenty of latakia, but not a lat bomb). If I was in your position, and I thought they would appreciate a latakia blend, I'd bring a tin of Westminster.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Living in the EU I tend to order American blends from 4noggins as it's about the cheapest/easiest shop to order from. I would be very interested to try blends from places like Peretti, Boswells or Watch city as they're more expensive/difficult to get hold of.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Russ' Perique series are all good, but by far my favorite is GP-11
Sable, a lot of people agree with you. I think it's because the Grand Point Perique is closest to the traditional "plum and pepper" flavor profile.
Russ

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Tavol - I've haven't even heard of most of those brands. I tell ya': it's simultaneously very intimidating and very exciting how many tobaccos there are out in the world to try, and I feel both a little ashamed and yet totally satisfied with having stuck with so few for so long.
Russ - Here's hoping the Highland Clansmen are on the list of fans, because a tin of it is on the way to them!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You can't get War Horse, Bengal Slices or any of the John Cotton blends in the UK.

2v2JNCAyvx3L6Bn.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I didn't mention any blends types other than Va/Per since that sounded like what your friends wanted to try, so I suggested different blends that are all exceptional in different ways.
The sheer variety of blends available is enormous. Westminster is a great blend. I'd also suggest WhiteKnight and Black House, John Cotton 1&2, Bengal Slices, and Peretti's Tashkent for English/Balkan blends. But the list of possibilities is seemingly endless and your allowed amount quite finite.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, a lot of people agree with you. I think it's because the Grand Point Perique is closest to the traditional "plum and pepper" flavor profile.
True, and the balance you brought to that particular mix so perfectly elevates the Perique. I like all of these Perique Series blends, and have all of them in my cellar, but SP-11 is my favorite. For me, there isn't a better Va/Per available anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.