What to expect from a *.com estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Most of my pipes are estates, and if i buy one that is "cleaned & disinfected, and ready to smoke." I expect it to be. Do I clean every estate pipe I buy, no, I only clean the one where I feel needs to be cleaned. I've used another vendor and his come back in awesome condition with no smell whatsoever except for what he uses to clean his pipes, a matter of fact, I still have a pipe that I bought from him (9 months ago) and haven't smoked out of it yet and it still smells fresh as the day I got it. others I will clean, all depends on where I bought it.
I would contact the shop and see what they say, since you already smoked out of it, they might have a no return policy. If that's the case, they a S&A treatment of a trip to Walker Briar Works should do the job.
Good Luck

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
It smelt like cat shit was smoked in it by a dead racoon. ...but made it smell like the dead raccoon at some berries.
That was awesome, funniest thing I have seen in a week!

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
If i buy an estate pipe from a someone or online, even if they tell me the pipe has been cleaned. I still clean the entire pipe myself. Sometimes I do the salt & alcohol treatment or I use the pipe cleaning with a retort kit. I feel better doing this cause at least I know I cleaned it throughly and not just used a pipe cleaner.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If the seller claimed it was ready to smoke then that means they should have done an alcohol/slat to get rid of any ghost. The shank and stem were supposed to be clean. Obviously it was not ready to smoke therefore they are on the hook to replace the pipe. If it is a site sponsor I am sure they will refund your money or let you pick out a different pipe. If the pipe is something you love and think was a great deal, I am sure you can send it back the the seller and have them do a proper cleaning at their expense. They should cover shipping both ways.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope your situation can be resolved quickly and that you will enjoy the original pipe or its replacement.

bayoubreeze

Lurker
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Since I was assured in both writing & on the phone that the pipe would be ready to smoke when I received it, I took cigrmaster's advice and contacted the site-sponsor to see what remedial action they will offer. I'll post an update once I hear back from them.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
There are few things nastier in this world than stale tobacco tar that has worked its magic into a briar . You can either smoke your way through it or put it in the oven and let it do it for you .Good luck .

bayoubreeze

Lurker
Oct 9, 2012
Just wanted to update. The site-sponsor offered to pay for shipping, both ways, and reclean the pipe. I chose to do the cleaning myself, mainly because I have a cleaning method I want to try. So, all is well with sponsor (who will remain nameless). Good to know our site-sponsors are willing to remedy such problems. :clap:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad to hear it. I've had good luck so far with my estates, but when I get one from ebay, I do my own cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.