PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Giving people their money back after they buy your moldy product is nice,but doesn't restore confidence.
You restore the consumer's confidence by fixing the problem.
This. There are a lot of great blends out there to buy. No idea why you would want to roll the dice on a consistently sketchy product. Sure, it might be great. Or you might be throwing your money away. It is good that they are trying to fix the problem, but that doesn't mean that it is inappropriate to talk about the problem. I suppose because they advertise on this webpage the powers that be don't want to hear about it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My question is that since ------------- and -------------- are having mold issues with a particular ingredient, is that ingredient from the same lot, and is there something wrong with it?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
How about opening the tin, letting it soak in Everclear for a couple days..Then dry out??? That stuff kills everything.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'm keeping what I have of the problematic blends. I kept 5 tins of the recalled blend with only one getting moldy. I have a worse track record with produce. They seem to have done a good job in responding to the issue. I will continue to buy their blends while hoping they get a handle on the problem.

Have you found a can of moldy produce lately?

I've been closely following this hobby daily for over 30 years and this is the only outbreak of mold I can recall. IMO this is an issue that needs to be discussed openly. I understand that the company is making good on their moldy tobacco but the fact that a once well regarded brand that was family run without issues other than some guys don't like their mixtures has been moved and turned over to a bunch of hipsters who seem more interested in expanding the catalog rather than doing what worked for the Tarlers for years.

With the endless silly and off topic post padding threads the fact that an on topic thread that directly effects the hobby in a way I have never seen before gets shut down does not make me happy. 8O

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Hmmmmmm....yes this is a private site. I paid nothing to come here and post, so it isn't a private club. I'm welcome as long as I follow the rules. Yes we can be told what to discuss and what not to discuss. This is all fair. A certain company has done the right thing and honored its product. But to shut down a mold thread is asinine. Discussion of tobacco is why I come here. If it hadn't been for my comrades here, I wouldn't be the wiser about a mold Issue. Thus having a tin sit in the cellar until the FDA makes it a crime to say TOBACCO, therefore missing out on an exchange. I get the reason for a thread shutdown, but it is a double edged sword in this case.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
Just curious are we not allowed to complain about a sponsors product and spread the word and discuss fixes and such? I thought that was the idea of a forum until the closed thread i did not evan know about this product i could of bought five pounds of crap if someone did not speak up

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
You can talk about the things that we are supposed to talk about, as long as you talk about those things within the confines of the rules that you are allowed to talk about those certain things.
We have gone up and down this road before. It's a tightrope we all walk.
The fact is that there is a persistent problem with a retailer that most of us love. We aren't bashing the company, we are simply using one of the only outlets we have to vent about the problem. Fact is, that particular retailer should love us for doing so, instead of making inflammatory posts all over the internet with no intent of having a reasonable discourse on the problem.
I'm sorry, but this closing of threads BS just because it's about a sponsor needs to stop. No one is trying to kill their business, we are simply sharing experiences. This is the way the world works. If it doesn't happen here, it's going to happen somewhere else that is likely to be a less friendly and reasonable place to have these conversations.
If you suppress the conversation you are just going to force it to another venue. THAT is bad for business.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sponsors make this site possible. They keep the lights on, they pay the bills. Without sponsors, this site would vanish, quickly.
The site mods have given plenty of space to this topic. They have not deleted threads about it, merely ended conversations once they felt that the topic had run it's course. The same as they have done for other threads. It's their prerogative. It's their site.
We are guests.
Let's act that way.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Dan... why do you always have to make sense.
Always ruining everyones fun.
I'm going back to my Scotch.

May 4, 2015
Agreed. This thread was opened to ask advice. Asked and answered.
If left to continue it will continue to devolve in to the same thread we've seen 100 times.
There is a problem. They're working on a solution. In the mean time, they've offered no-hassle exchanges/refunds. Choose to work with them, or don't. There isn't much else productive to say that hasn't already been, IMO.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My take on the closure was that it was fast degrading into a product bashing thread. That company certainly isn't the first to receive a contaminated batch of product. They don't grow it and that issue could have occurred anywhere in the process. What's important is how they are handling the issue. Concerns about your best options are fair game but taking shots isn't and shouldn't be. They are a well regarded company by many and should be treated respectfully. That's no less than we expect for ourselves.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
To grow, mold needs moisture, warm temperature, and very little oxygen. The only way to stop it from growing (but not kill it) is to remove moisture or freeze it, neither of which is good for tobacco, especially if you want to age it.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I agree Gloucesterman. The majority of my cellar is comprised of that particular company. I am a die hard supporter, but it doesn't mean that I won't listen to anyone that has an issue and feel their pain in dealing with it.
I don't support any thread that devolves into a product or company bashing situation, but where else are people supposed to voice their concerns and discuss them other than a pipes and tobacco forum, and the largest one on the web at that?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh darn, I just saw the other thread my can of (same as the other thread) is totally swollen, I even had the legendary creator of said bled tell me that a swollen van was a good thing. In ya'lls experience does a swollen can always equate to mold?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I didn't mean to imply that a real issue should be suppressed. Voicing one's concerns or making others aware of an issue is a valid use of the forum. How that is done is every bit as important. Using an issue to take shots at a company, organization or individual isn't. Charged words and phrases that are intended to attack aren't necessary and only serve to polarize others. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but sometimes voicing it isn't in the best interest of the group. In this case, I think a good company that is likely as much a victim as is are its customers shouldn't be subject to a lot of mean spirited posting. Their conduct has been that of good corporate citizens. Not allowing them to be attacked is a proper function of the forum.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't trust a swollen tin so soon after it's release. Yes I hear swollen tins are a sign of aging doing it's magic, but I've also seen several examples of ______ swollen tins being full of mold upon being opened from several youtube video's etc.. If the tin was a few years old, then I could see it being okay, but I do have a few tins of McClellend's which are around the 5-6 year mark and are not even close to being swollen. If you were intent on keeping the tobacco that is not being mentioned in this thread by the unnamed manufacturer, the only thing I could think of is using vinegar as an anti-mold agent after opening the tin, as Macbaren uses it in ODF, and I'm pretty sure McClellend uses it too. I would go on the safe side and return it, but it sounds like opening and then jarring the tobacco doesn't help.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I was just looking for some answers to legitimate questions, which I got. I have clarity on the issue. I got what I came for.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
I dont know how cheap or easy to find it would be but wouldn't uv light work like they use for sterilization or to kill mold etc in your furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.