What Tinned McClelland Virginias Do You Guys Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think Butera's Golden Cake is the best straight VA they make.
McCelland is known to have the world's best Virginia supply bar none.

Good marketing, but I think that's the extent of it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
But, Aurora really stands out to me ...
I grabbed a tin on your recommendation a while back but haven't cracked it open yet.
What on earth am I waiting for?? :mrgreen:

Jul 15, 2011
OK, a question for all of you guys recommending the McClelland flakes: Do you break them up when you smoke them? And if so, how big of a pain in the ass are they to prep? When I smoke flake I usually prefer mine very broken up, and I have heard that Dark Star is one tough mother to prep. Didn't know if Dark Star was the exception to the rule with McClelland or if they are all kind of a pain to deal with? Also, thanks for all the recommendations. I've heard good things about Beacon and it's kind of flown under my radar. I will definitely add it to the order.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Blackwoods Flake needs some drying time- 30 minutes to an hour, then I rub it out. Like all Mcclellands, it comes as a broken flake already.
Haven't smoked dark star but yes I hear that one is a tough one, but worth it.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Of the non aged I have had 2015 is my go t Its not fair to include the 20 year old #25 or the 15 year old #22 as I have never smoked those two fresh but 2015 bulk was the first time I hauled off and ordered a pound after smoking a ounce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as a point of discussion, I am aging a tin of Dark Star and have heard praise and negativity from different Forums members. I'm guessing that Dark Star is improved with at least a little age. Also, as near as I can tell, the size of the pieces of leaf varies a lot, so you need to somewhat rub it out to get it more uniform for the best smoke. Some people give it extra high marks, and others think it's terrible. The bulk Virginia Red Cake 5100 has a burst of ketchup smell when you open the jar, but it's a sweetheart, all by itself or mixed with other tobaccos or blends. It has no ketchup taste at all, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.