Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It means you and the cloud mass above you have an unequal electrical charge, and the cloud is thinking about offloading some of its surplus into you.

Not just a nautical thing. Three people got 'sploded last summer standing near the White House.
I think most people know that lighting strikes happen more often than lottery wins. And that Zeus likes to pick out golfers. But I've never heard of static charges preceding strikes. I've also never heard of or seen outdoor mass static charges until your linked video. I wonder how common they are and the degree to which they are associated with strikes.

Reactions: kcghost

Masson

Lurker
Mar 8, 2023
Yeah education for kids is important from very beginning. It is good that my mother have taught me to love the area of my work right now from my childhood. It helped me to enter medical facility and study there. It was hard and i needed writing a nursing care plan a lot and not only but overall i'm kinda happy right now

Reactions: Briar Tuck

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always spooked when caught outdoors in an open area when a storm is coming up. I've never heard about the hair raising warning, but it makes sense. If you're close enough to hear the thunder, you're close enough to get hit by lightning.

About three years ago, I was just stopping near a mailbox on foot to drop off some letters, and I got into a wild wind that was shifting around from different directions that I think was trying to be a tornado.

Mother Nature ain't kidding.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My kids are in college now. When they were in elementary school, they already stopped teaching how to write. Kids now days don't learn proper way to write numbers nor letters.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Regarding what kids don’t know…. In our local post office, there is an “example” envelope on the counter to show younger people how to fill one out.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Isn't it amazing how generations after our own have been supposedly getting dumber for damn near all of human history? Why, I bet by the time these kids today grow up they won't even know how to process whale fat into lamp oil or shape slate into writing tablets.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Isn't it amazing how generations after our own have been supposedly getting dumber for damn near all of human history?

It's literally true.

The basic mechanism is a small number of high IQ types have invented and developed an environment that is safer and requires less effort to live in than ever before, plus the fat part of the bell curve (and below) have a higher net reproduction rate than those who occuply the right fringe of it.

The result is IQ is declining approximately three IQ points each decade for the past fifty years. Overall, there's been a 13.5% reduction in average intelligence from 1975 to 2020.

It's an unavoidable side-effect of a high tech society, in other words.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There's a guy on instagram that is a "camera on the street asking questions" guy, simple questions, "Name a country that starts with the letter U", "What country is Mount Rushmore in?", "If it's 7pm what time is it 12 hours later?", "If someone gave you $100 a day, how much would you have after 7 days?"

Granted I'm sure plenty of people get questions right, but the fact that there are so many teen / twenty somethings out there that can't answer a single one of those is scary. Of course he always says "yup" or "right" when they give their dumbass answers.

One girl on a college campus said after a week you'd have a million dollars and when the guy said "after seven days?" she said oh you're right it would be 7 million dollars. Dumbasses. Dumbasses everywhere.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
It's literally true.

The basic mechanism is a small number of high IQ types have invented and developed an environment that is safer and requires less effort to live in than ever before, plus the fat part of the bell curve (and below) have a higher net reproduction rate than those who occuply the right fringe of it.

The result is IQ is declining approximately three IQ points each decade for the past fifty years. Overall, there's been a 13.5% reduction in average intelligence from 1975 to 2020.

It's an unavoidable side-effect of a high tech society, in other words.
Well, damn. Why didn't my ipad warn me about this?

Frankly, I'm all for it. Have you ever read Vonnegut's Galapagos? He makes a heck of a case for our big fat brains being more trouble than they're worth.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think the human species can evaluate or quantify the individual or collective intelligence of the species. The "tests" are so culturally specific. Some of the guys in the Navy who barely graduated from high school were savvy on all kinds of electronics and gear, and some people with advanced degrees are helpless in everyday activities.

The fact that we roost on the edge annihilating not only all of ourselves but thousands of other species on the planet causes my extreme suspicion that altogether a grasshopper may have more useful and applicable intellect than human beings even if they were all Albert Einsteins. Intelligence is as intelligence does. It remains to be seen.

Reactions: Zero and MarcosEZLN

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I don't think the human species can evaluate or quantify the individual or collective intelligence of the species. The "tests" are so culturally specific. Some of the guys in the Navy who barely graduated from high school were savvy on all kinds of electronics and gear, and some people with advanced degrees are helpless in everyday activities.
Intelligence and education are really completely unrelated, despite the tendency to conflate them. I retired from a career in software development, where intelligence is far more valuable than education. Of the two most brilliant developers I worked with, one had no college degree, and the other had an arts degree. Likewise, the most useless, completely incompetent developer I ever worked with had a degree in Computer Science.

Everyone can be taught, but not everyone can learn or do.