PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipe smoking certainly gets a better reaction then other tobacco products. I can't count how many times people tell me they love the way the pipe smells. Even had a few people ask if I would mind smoking in their apartment or home. I think I've had maybe one or two people ever say anything negative about it. Well aside from dark fired or latakia heavy blends ;).

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My wife doesn't mind me smoking as long as I do it in the sun room with the window fan sucking the smoke out. She likes seeing my pipes and learning about the different styles. I almost died a couple years ago so I'm sure she is just thankful that I'm still around as I am that she is with me. Even in rough times, being grateful for the life you have is a wonderful thing.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
My wife doesn't mind me smoking as long as I do it in the sun room with the window fan sucking the smoke out. She likes seeing my pipes and learning about the different styles. I almost died a couple years ago so I'm sure she is just thankful that I'm still around as I am that she is with me. Even in rough times, being grateful for the life you have is a wonderful thing.
Amen to that, brother............

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Pipe smoking certainly gets a better reaction then other tobacco products. I can't count how many times people tell me they love the way the pipe smells. Even had a few people ask if I would mind smoking in their apartment or home. I think I've had maybe one or two people ever say anything negative about it. Well aside from dark fired or latakia heavy blends ;).
I dare say that no other usage of tobacco products brings about as many positive comments as does pipe smoking.

Cigars do not leave a room or area smelling nicely, except to the smoker..... Everybody hates cigarettes and chewing and dipping turn folks off when the "ambeer" (juice) runs down your chin... :ROFLMAO:

Fuelman

Lurker
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana

Pipe smoking certainly gets a better reaction than other tobacco products. I can't count how many times people tell me they love the way the pipe smells. Even had a few people ask if I would mind smoking in their apartment or home. I think I've had maybe one or two people ever say anything negative about it. Well aside from dark fired or latakia heavy blends ;).
You might be able to make some extra money from the people that want you to smoke in their apartments. Enough to pay for extra tobacco.😀

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I'm pretty sure this is why people came up with aromatics. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Popeye the sailor man, virginia ropes dipped in rum. Whatever. You think that the wives were like "oh sure baby, come to bed smelling like rank weed and hard liquor!" Negative.
First dude who came home from poker night smelling like mixture 79 instead of Cabañas got a treatment that his buddies heard about. Badda-bing, aromatics were in. Just like the old Carter Hall commercials...the chicks were back!

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I smoked cherry blend in the car when we were dating. After we got married she would help me shop for pipes and I usually got one for Christmas or birthday or both. In 50+ years I've received a lot of pipes, lighters, tampers, etc..

She sits in her armchair and I'm puffing right next to her. She doesn't mind Latakia, but Virginias smell like cigarettes to her, so I avoid those. The only place in the house I don't smoke is the bedroom.

Yeah, I'm lucky.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I am very lucky that my wife is supportive, if not very enabling - I smoke my pipe in the house, in the car, anywhere. She really likes the smell of Virginias and loves aromatics ...she will remind me that it's totally fine with her to smoke on road trips. I do make sure to not hot-box a room when the kiddos are around and minimize their exposure, of course ...I sit next to an open window and pop it open at least a few inches even in the deepest of winter - nobody really cares or thinks twice about it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m very lucky. Susan doesn’t like the smell of cigar smoke in the house, so cigars are relegated to the porch and walks, but she doesn’t mind pipe smoking in the house. She’s very supportive when it comes to pipes; she has bought a Jørn Micke designed pipe from Denmark for me, briar blocks from Mark Tinsky, signed pipe books, pipe making tools, a monogrammed leather pipe bag, and a host of other tobacciana related items. I have no complaints

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m very lucky. Susan doesn’t like the smell of cigar smoke in the house, so cigars are relegated to the porch and walks, but she doesn’t mind pipe smoking in the house. She’s very supportive when it comes to pipes; she has bought a Jørn Micke designed pipe from Denmark for me, briar blocks from Mark Tinsky, signed pipe books, pipe making tools, a monogrammed leather pipe bag, and a host of other tobacciana related items. I have no complaints
Susan! An absolute queen.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I dare say that no other usage of tobacco products brings about as many positive comments as does pipe smoking.

Cigars do not leave a room or area smelling nicely, except to the smoker..... Everybody hates cigarettes and chewing and dipping turn folks off when the "ambeer" (juice) runs down your chin... :ROFLMAO:
Well once I did have a teenaged girl (I was a teenager then too) tell me the way I smoked a cig was real cool.
She was and probably still is an idiot.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My wife hated it when I took up smoking cigars, and complained about the smell and complained that I was stinking up the shop. She wouldn't even sit next to me on the patio if I was enjoying a smoke on a nice day. When I got into pipe smoking, she got more irritated, because she realized I wasn't going to be quitting anytime soon and was spending more money now that I had two hobbies. Over the years she has learned to tolerate my smoking, and she prefers I would just stick to one or the other, her choice would be the pipes. Now she's only irritated when I buy more cigars or pipe tobacco. She'll now sit with me on the patio while I enjoy a pipe or cigar, but she has to sit up wind. On some occasions she'll even sit in the shop with me while I'm having a pipe or cigar. It took a lot of years, but I finally broke her for the most part. Now she just tells me that if I get cancer, she'll kill me.