PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
It wasn't a stupid idea that came after Darwin, it was an ideology that he actively promoted.

"With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilised men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination; we build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed, and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilised societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly any one is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed."

[Darwin, The Descent of Man (1871 edition), vol. I, p. 168)

But Darwin went on to say:
"...but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil. Hence we must bear without complaining the undoubtedly bad effects of the weak surviving and propagating their kind".

That's not promoting eugenics.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
But Darwin went on to say:
"...but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil. Hence we must bear without complaining the undoubtedly bad effects of the weak surviving and propagating their kind".

That's not promoting eugenics.
Immediately following that he said "but there appears to be at least one check in steady action, namely the weaker and inferior members of society not marrying so freely as the sound; and this check might be indefinitely increased..."

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Immediately following that he said "but there appears to be at least one check in steady action, namely the weaker and inferior members of society not marrying so freely as the sound; and this check might be indefinitely increased..."

But he didn't say it should be increased.
That was his kids. LOL.
Image result for darwin meme

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see the meme as a distinct genre of comedy or even a specific art form. The interview I heard made it sound like the introduction of a new level of human consciousness. Oh brother. There was a book of photo journalism outtakes with comic captions in the 1960's called "Who's In Charge Here?" For example there was a photo of President Eisenhower and (I think it was) President Kennedy looking down with some consternation at the cushions of the couch on which they were sitting, and the caption was: "It feels like a golf ball." You might say the book went viral, in hard copy.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I can see the meme as a distinct genre of comedy or even a specific art form. The interview I heard made it sound like the introduction of a new level of human consciousness. Oh brother. There was a book of photo journalism outtakes with comic captions in the 1960's called "Who's In Charge Here?" For example there was a photo of President Eisenhower and (I think it was) President Kennedy looking down with some consternation at the cushions of the couch on which they were sitting, and the caption was: "It feels like a golf ball." You might say the book went viral, in hard copy.
Sounds like a straight up book of memes, haha.

This...
The word "meme" was invented by Richard Dawkins in his book The Selfish Gene (1976) to describe the way ideas evolve, replicate, and mutate. In the Internet era the idea was that memes would become bits of cultural information that would continue far into the future. The reality has turned out to be rather less grand and maybe even the opposite. Great ideas are reduced by obvious and boring memes that are totally lacking in originality.

Your use of the phrases "early form of humanoid", and "bookish old geezers" is a little funny given that Richard Dawkins is a evolutionary biologist who started publishing books 45 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.