PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't understand the fascination with wearing a sports jersey with someone else's name on the back. I'm not wearing concert t-shirts either. Sorry, I don't get it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I skied, played hockey, lacrosse, golf, rode the rough stock, and was a better than average bowler back in the day. If Da Cubbies, or Packers are on the TV I'll have it on, sound off, and glance at the score/positions now and then. I will actually watch Alpine skiing competitions, Biathlon, and hockey on TV. I became a fan of hurling and rugby when visiting Ireland.

I must agree with the F1 observations and "lawd" ,,, "round round racing" is a terrific bore." Formula 1 is rapidly becoming such. F1 is one of those things which was sooooo much better in its early years.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Is it Nascar or Indycar where they just drive around an oval for hours on end? That would drive me nuts....let alone dizzy :LOL:

Regards,

Jay.?
I’m not certain but I think Indycar is a mix of some events being F1-style tracks and some events being oval tracks. Not sure about NASCAR though. I’m definitely more partial to a more dynamic racetrack!

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I skied, played hockey, lacrosse, golf, rode the rough stock, and was a better than average bowler back in the day. If Da Cubbies, or Packers are on the TV I'll have it on, sound off, and glance at the score/positions now and then. I will actually watch Alpine skiing competitions, Biathlon, and hockey on TV. I became a fan of hurling and rugby when visiting Ireland.

I must agree with the F1 observations and "lawd" ,,, "round round racing" is a terrific bore." Formula 1 is rapidly becoming such. F1 is one of those things which was sooooo much better in its early years.
I'm really enjoying F1, I'm new to it and know that others feel the competitiveness of the sport is lacking due to the domination of Mercedes. I'd love to see F1 with more cars that can really challenge them, but still really enjoying what it has to offer for now. Looking forward to a day where some cars can get up there, that will be really exciting.

Since the time I was an adult, I have not understood/enjoyed the fascination of people watching other people playing sports. If I am not part of the action, it holds little enjoyment for me.

Having said that, I do occasionally watch cricket ? (Generally the WC finals and other similar) and football (Soccer) - Also matches of vital importance like World Cup Finals. That means I watch sports about once or twice a year.
I enjoyed watching cricket occasionally in a stadium - that was more like a day out in the sun. It has been many years since I had done that.
Personally I used to play ping pong ? (table tennis) and badminton ? earlier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm strictly sporadic as a fan. I have family who are always playing the game on TV, whatever game it is. When I get a chance I really get wrapped up, but mostly I don't watch. In order of preference -- baseball largely because I grew up when it really was the national sport; basketball because it is easy to track the ball and no one (for the most part) is sustaining permanent brain damage; football because it is there and when you catch a really close well-played game it is amazing; and slowly but surely what the Europeans and Brits call football and the U.S. calls soccer, which was a long learning curve but finally has registered with me, having watched it in Ireland and Holland where it is the major sport. Maybe humorously, I like the slowness of baseball, contrary to current public sentiment, that gives me the time off for my own thoughts which fascinate me if no one else. A good spectator sport that I rarely watch is college wrestling, really two sports, with the heavy weights more strategically like Sumo, and the lighter weights more like mixed martial arts without the street fighting aspect. I think professional wrestling has coopted interest in the real competitive sport, though it is of a sort of interest as highly athletic performance art, carefully scripted. I dread that the pro wrestling fan base believes it is a competitive sport.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Basketball- Boston Celtics
Baseball - Boston Red Sox
Hockey- Boston Bruins
Football- New England Patriots
Tennis
Golf PGA, Seniors and LPGA majors only, College Golf NCAA tourney
Winter and Summer Olympics
Alpine Skiing
Lacrosse once in a while
World Cup Soccer

When all my sports leagues are back, I will go back to them and ignore the news like I have done for the last 10 years.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I used to play baseball and was an avid fan but I got bored with it over the years. I’ll watch boxing and the UFC from time to time but I don’t keep up with sports much at all anymore. I find football extremely boring... it’s funny cause in America, everyone just assumes you are a fan (especially if you are a man), dudes usually start talking at me about all things football, I have no idear of the words they speak and I just have to politely tell them that I’m not a fan.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, if I had not grown up 2.5 miles from Fenway Park in Boston and had Red Sox running through my veins I would say fuck you Mike Trout and your 400 plus million and fuck everyone making over 200 million. Ticket prices are insane, Bring a family with 4 kids and it will cost you 300 plus for decent seats, parking and drinks and food, fuck those greedy cocksuckers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Olympics is a good time to watch sports you never see, like track events, luge, bobsled, volleyball, water polo, diving, etc. Amazing levels of skill in sports that have no professional presence otherwise. In my sixties, I finally got to a horse track with my wife who'd been a longtime fan, starting at Saratoga which has to be one of the (or the) most beautiful tracks in the world. Betting isn't a big draw for me, though it is fun a few bucks at a time, but the animals are (what?) entrancing I guess.

• Love

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
hawky, if I had not grown up 2.5 miles from Fenway Park in Boston and had Red Sox running through my veins I would say fuck you Mike Trout and your 400 plus million and fuck everyone making over 200 million. Ticket prices are insane, Bring a family with 4 kids and it will cost you 300 plus for decent seats, parking and drinks and food, fuck those greedy cocksuckers.
Hahaha! I absolutely agree!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Oh lord I hate NASCAR ?
It’s my least favorite of the motorsports I watch, and I don’t follow it like I do open wheel racing, but I will watch it if there’s nothing else on.
Is it Nascar or Indycar where they just drive around an oval for hours on end? That would drive me nuts....let alone dizzy :LOL:

Regards,

Jay.?
Indycar is a mixed bag: some street circuits, some road courses, some ovals. NASCAR is mostly ovals. Looks like someone flushing Skittles down the toilet ?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have been known to watch motorcycle racing. I went to the Isle Of Man TT once and the Assen TT twice, all in the 1980's.

Not so often seen on TV these days but if I catch it then I'll watch it.

Regards,

Jay.

The Isle of Man TT is insane! I've seen footage on YouTube of the bikes racing through the streets and it looks incredible.

I watched a documentary on former Superbikes Champion Carl Fogarty a while back and it showed him riding in the TT in the early 1990's.

Dangerous as well. I just looked it up and 260 riders have been killed since 1907. A really amazing event that the health & safety brigade seem to have left alone.

It must have been brilliant to watch it in person Jay. Here's a 1min video of someone's dad getting their first taste.

Jun 9, 2018
England

For me the1980's was the golden age of F1. Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet in the most amazing cars. No dashboards covered in screens or flappy gearboxes. The drivers risked death because as far as safety was concerned you had a seat belt and helmet. No crashing the car and jumping straight out without a scratch like they do today.
The early to mid 1990's was great as well. Schumacher going against Hill and Villeneuve in the Williams.
I miss those days. F1 today is highly sanitised and there's no more pit girls also?.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm really enjoying F1, I'm new to it and know that others feel the competitiveness of the sport is lacking due to the domination of Mercedes. I'd love to see F1 with more cars that can really challenge them, but still really enjoying what it has to offer for now. Looking forward to a day where some cars can get up there, that will be really exciting.

If you're new to F1 and are enjoying it then you definitely need to check out some videos of the 1980's when it was really good.
Here's a documentary about the 1989 season when Prost & Senna went up against each other. 2 of the greatest drivers of all time in the same team. They really didn't like each other.
I still love watching F1 today but it isn't in the same league as the 1980's

Status
Not open for further replies.