PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Admins, please move this if this is not in the appropriate section for this topic.

I am looking for recommendations on a good liquor to enjoy with my pipes/tobacco. I realize this is a very personal and subjective thing but still hope to get some recommendations.

I was a long time cigar smoker and always enjoyed a sambuca with my cigars. My pipe Tobacco of choice is more towards the Aros and Cavendish like Sutliffs Dark Obsession, Dark Decadence, Lane Q-1, MacBarens Royal Blend, etc.

Sambuca with these just diminishes the tobacco flavor. I am not a whiskey or scotch drinker although I have occasionally enjoyed some single malts.
A nice Pinot Grigio has been decent but am very tired of it.

I am looking to compliment the tobacco and not over power it. Any recommendations?

Reactions: PipesRock

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
It's a hard one to answer. I drink everything from diet coke, coffee and tea, to a bourbon or IPA with my pipe. It's kind of dependent on time of day, blend of tobacco, and my mood. I think the best advice is to simply experiment and see what your palate appreciates with the tobacco. Cheers.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Don’t know if you like gin… These days I mostly have a gin martini and there are some fantastic ones out there. The botanicals can really compliment a tobacco. I also like an occasional Manhattan. On very hot days a Mojito works well for me. There are tons of other great sipping liquors but these days my go to is almost always a martini.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Beer is nice with most tobacco. Stronger spirits will mute the tobacco unless it's a very strong kentucky blend. I have only one special pairing that I do. It's a certain porter, a danish, very black, very strong porter that I like to drink with a pipe of 1792 Flake. I might even have a glass of Jameson's on the side, but that's optional.

I don’t pair anything with my pipe. That means I would occasionally smoke a pipe with spirits, occasionally with water, occasionally with morning coffee and occasionally with Darjeeling tea.

My favorite spirits are single malts from Scotland. They are occasionally supplemented by a good bourbon, tequila or less occasionally with a premium rum or a premium gin.

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately due to suffering from Gout, any beers are out (and do I miss it).
I do like gin so a martini will get tried, as will the cognac, tawny port and tequila…all at the same time. ?

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
El Tesoro Extra Anejo. The Agave, earth, slight grassy, caramel, clean flavors all shine when sipped neat or with a lime twist. My go to is bourbon sometimes scotch but with a pipe it's black coffee or infrequently this Tequila.

Reactions: ofafeather