What Retired Blends Would you Bring Back?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Somewhere buried on the site is a thread from a now long deceased Florida attorney who expended vast amounts of recycled electrons arguing with Dan about how John Cotton's was not the original - even though we never claimed it was the original. It was a near as damn it possible recreation of the original based on careful analysis of an original tin from that era. Tobacco changes, soil chemistry changes, weather and growing seasons vary so if the same product was made today by the original company it would probably taste markedly different. The analogy I often use is the companies that produce bottles of Macallan 1890 or 1930s that they have used blended scotches to recreate that flavor profile and bottled it in a reproduction of the bottle style from that time. The SToP blends were as near as possible to the original given the skills of the blender who painfully recreated them for the public.
I actually enjoy WHG now. Wish I had the original SToP version.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I actually enjoy WHG now. Wish I had the original SToP version.
If you ask around I am sure you can get a tin of the original SToP version. I seem to remember it was like smoking a bowl of anisette delivered with a side order of sledge hammer soda. It was meant to be a copy of Condor but it sort of turned out somewhat differently than planned.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
If you ask around I am sure you can get a tin of the original SToP version. I seem to remember it was like smoking a bowl of anisette delivered with a side order of sledge hammer soda. It was meant to be a copy of Condor but it sort of turned out somewhat differently than planned.
Sounds oddly awesome, I’ll do that!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Aug 1, 2012
I've got a few tins that I am going to open for a special occasion, probably at a pipe club meeting. I hate anise and black licorice except in gum and pipe tobacco oddly enough.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Sobrbiker: You will want the original tin with the label on the bottom of the tin which says 'Manufactured under license from the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania Ltd'. I don't have any tins since any spares I had at the time were given away to the many who claimed poverty. You might ask Dan or maybe even John the President of Standard. I see the later ones show up on Pipestuds website on odd occasions. Since C.I purchased all the trademarks from us I have no idea what they did to the composition of the blends.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Four years? Not a problem at all. There are smokers with 20-50 years of smoking experience who are clueless—fortunately very few here.

We have absolute newbies who may contribute a wise bit, an observation, a question.
Sorry I meant not much to contribute to this particular topic, not the forum in general.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Two that come immediately to mind are Revelation produced by Philip Morris and Walnut by Middleton. I also developed a liking for a mixture produced by Seattle Pipe Club, Yakima Valley, which was only available for a short time. If anyone knows where some might be available, please let me know.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
McClelland 2025, 5100, No. 25 Matured Virginia and 40th Anniversary. Assuming they were identical to what they were.

I’m fortunate to have a lot of these squirreled away but every tin I finish makes me a bit sad that there’s one less in the world.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Would love to see some of the dark Virginia flakes from yesteryear such as Dunhill dark flake and Capstan full. There were a couple others also, but I can't recall their names at the moment. They had full rich flavor with a fair amount of strength to them. I find myself wanting that flavor and strength lately.