PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
This is the first pipe I bought and I can't tell what is made off or what it is. There are characters, logos, or symbols on the stem or pipe. Does anybody have a clue on what it is?
It is an estate pipe that I bought in a Japanese surplus here in the Philippines.
488079_10152553163720386_2040028708_n.jpg

58485_10152553163755386_261681942_n.jpg

62133_10152553163890386_1586172773_n.jpg

188228_10152553163790386_1017393265_n.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
. There are characters, logos, or symbols on the stem or pipe
I don't see anything. You mind just typing it out or describing the marks?
I doubt anyone here is going to have knowledge of pipes bought locally in the Philippines, but it can't hurt to try.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums.
Sorry, but cannot tell much from the photos, but it looks more decorative than functional. The material looks like wood, but could be rosewood rather than briar. Does it burn very hot? If so, good chance it's not briar.
If you're just starting with pipe smoking, you may wish to get a briar pipe. Reliable brands include Savinelli, Stanwell, and others. They aren't too expensive and yet provide an enjoyable smoke.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yes that is the Mr. Fishy pipe. :rofl:
Sorry I just couldn't help myself. No clue as to what it is.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
. There are characters, logos, or symbols on the stem or pipe

I don't see anything. You mind just typing it out or describing the marks?
I doubt anyone here is going to have knowledge of pipes bought locally in the Philippines, but it can't hurt to try.
Sorry. That was a typo, i meant "There ' are no ' characters, logos, or symbols on the stem or pipe"
This pipe was not from the Philippines. It is from Japan. Thanks though for the post. :)

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Welcome to the forums.
Sorry, but cannot tell much from the photos, but it looks more decorative than functional. The material looks like wood, but could be rosewood rather than briar. Does it burn very hot? If so, good chance it's not briar.
If you're just starting with pipe smoking, you may wish to get a briar pipe. Reliable brands include Savinelli, Stanwell, and others. They aren't too expensive and yet provide an enjoyable smoke.
Thank you for the welcome. :D
Actually, I do have some briar pipes and they smoke great. I have 2 C.B. Perkins and a Raffaello and they are also estates. I wish to have Savinellis, Stanwells, Peterson, and etc. but, the thing is that in my country we do not have pipe stores and tobacco stores. I do see some pipes in the department stores and I saw a Big Ben. I do not know if they are any good though. I did some research on the Big Ben and people turn out to like it so I am saving up for it now.
Anyway, it does not turn hot quickly. It gives me a good smoke like my other briars.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, no idea but rosewood is a good guess. Looks to have been smoked a lot, but in very good condition, so someone obviously loved it and too good care of it.
It's a great find and I'm thinking it will be a great smoker after a good cleaning and sanitizing. The stinger is shiny so it's either new, or the pipe has been completely cleaned already. Let us know how she smokes please!
Thank you for compliments. :D
I gave it a good reaming, did the salt and alcohol treatment, and cleaned it good as soon as I got it. I smoked it and I can say it was just like my CB Perkins and, Raffaello and that to me is good already. The draw was smooth and it seemed to me it gave me a cool smoke.
I think it was a good deal since I got it for about php800.00 ($19.64) :D

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
You guys are lucky that you got good access to pipe stores and tobacco stores. I would like to experience going into a pipe and tobacco store someday.
I would like to thank everyone for the help. It's nice that I get to communicate with other pipe smokers as well. I only have a friend that is into pipe smoking. We are getting people into it.
My girlfriend is also getting into pipe smoking but, she smokes a Kiseru (Japanese Pipe). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.