What Pipe Brand Don’t You Own But Want To?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
There are numerous carvers that I admire and would love to support. However most either do not offer the shape/s I collect. That being said ... there are two which I do have my sights set upon. A Peter Heeschen P shape, with an art amber stem, and a Hiro Totutomi blowfish.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
There are too many pipes from makers/carvers I would like to own. I'm currently happy with my pipe collection as it is now, and I don't smoke enough to warrant buying more pipes. Of course that won't stop me from buying more pipes in the future. Though it will probably be a while before that happens. Who knows what will be on the list then, as it will depend on my mood and budget.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Sixten, because he is the J S Bach of pipe carving.
Otherwise, I’m more than content with the pipes I have.
I have to say that I was not familiar with the name of Sixten so I googled it and found it to be Sixten Ivarsson. Found an interesting summary of his life which I'm posting below for others, like myself, who may not be familiar. Those of you with knowledge on him, please share anything you wish:

"Sixten Ivarsson (1910-2001) was undoubtedly the most influential Scandinavian pipemaker during the last century. He was born in Sweden but moved to Copenhagen in the 30s and stayed there for the rest of his life. During WWII, when the supply of most necessities in life was short, he happened to break the stem of his pipe. That incident actually made him a pipemaker.
Sixten Ivarsson started to repair pipes in a workshop called Suhr’s Pibereparation and there he also made his very first pipes. During that time he also started to cooperate with the Stanwell factory and made some shapes for them. That cooperation was to last for many decades.
In 1951 Sixten started on his own and a few years later he moved into a workshop, situated close to the pedestrian street Strøget in central Copenhagen. There he was to stay for the rest of his life.

Sixten created a new style of pipes and a new way in making them. Besides being an excellent pipemaker he was a brilliant teacher and among his pupils are world-famous names like Lars (his own son), Bo Nordh, Jess Chonowitsch and Jørn Micke."

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I have to say that I was not familiar with the name of Sixten so I googled it and found it to be Sixten Ivarsson. Found an interesting summary of his life which I'm posting below for others, like myself, who may not be familiar. Those of you with knowledge on him, please share anything you wish:

"Sixten Ivarsson (1910-2001) was undoubtedly the most influential Scandinavian pipemaker during the last century. He was born in Sweden but moved to Copenhagen in the 30s and stayed there for the rest of his life. During WWII, when the supply of most necessities in life was short, he happened to break the stem of his pipe. That incident actually made him a pipemaker.
Sixten Ivarsson started to repair pipes in a workshop called Suhr’s Pibereparation and there he also made his very first pipes. During that time he also started to cooperate with the Stanwell factory and made some shapes for them. That cooperation was to last for many decades.
In 1951 Sixten started on his own and a few years later he moved into a workshop, situated close to the pedestrian street Strøget in central Copenhagen. There he was to stay for the rest of his life.

Sixten created a new style of pipes and a new way in making them. Besides being an excellent pipemaker he was a brilliant teacher and among his pupils are world-famous names like Lars (his own son), Bo Nordh, Jess Chonowitsch and Jørn Micke."
Good on you for doing that.
The nutshell version is Sixten is/was the baddest motherfucker on the block.
I’m not up on the current lingo, but if there was a family tree of carvers, he’s at the top.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'd really like to own a Jody Davis pipe. Aside from the fact he does absolutely stunning work as a pipe maker, I've been a fan of the Newsboys for nearly three decades. As a member of the clergy, I don't think it could get any cooler than to have a pipe made by one of the premier Christian Rock bands of my generation. They are unfortunately however, far out of my price range.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Sixten spearheaded the organic freehand approach to pipe carving. Before that pipe largely followed the French canon. From what I've read, he initially did this to get more pipes out of a block of wood because his finances were tight. Now, these are some of the most expensive pipes on the market. Bo Nordh pipes can command five figures!