What Pipe Brand Most Consistently Makes a Great Smoking Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Ash - you have too many Ryan Fricken Aldens in your collection. Be a good fellow piper; pick me out a traditional looking straight rusticated and send it to me for foster care, and long-term adoption.
Thanks! :rofl:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse,

I understand that Larryson is retiring from pipe making.
That is surprising to hear about Larrysson. He was just getting his kid into the business. I wonder why he is quitting. He sells everything he makes fairly quickly.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
For modern pipes, I have honestly found that Kaywoodie is consistently making fantastic smokers. Bill is responsible for every one of them and his QC has impressed me greatly. I started having specific pipes made for me, and they are still all under $100. I'll be getting the 100 Year Anniversary pipes at the NY Pipe Show and I couldn't be more excited.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I got one already, crash... a tan blast square panel. Too bad he only made one of that among the 100 :D

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/18809/img_0103-600x293.jpg

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
All my savs are wonderful smokers. I love them all

Only have 1 Peterson but it’s great too.

Can’t comment on the artisans as I don’t own one yet, hoping to change that soon...hint hint

Also have my eye on a handsome Castello

So many pipes and not enough excuses for the wife. Ha

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
I would also say Castello. I would further narrow it down to a #55 shape, which I am smoking now!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
img_0103.jpg

64alex

May 10, 2016
Provided it is very subjective I would put this in a different perspective thinking more than on a brand term, on the material term. In other words what makes a great smoke between briar, morta, meer, cob, clay, olive wood .....? I found that differences in materials used are more important than differences in brands, provided you are going with a good recognized one.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Well I've apparently had great luck with the Pete's and Dunhills I've purchased as none are duds. I've also never had a bad smoking Briarworks or Savinelli pipe. That said, I'd love another Dunhill panel, especially one with a saddle stem. I've yet to run across one within my budget.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have many of the above-mentioned pipe brands. And I'll add one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Boswell. I honestly don't think you can buy a better pipe at a more reasonable price than J.M. Boswell's pipes. From traditional to the freehand, they are wonderful smokes.
And, yes, I own many Boswell pipes as well as many of the above mentioned, including Dunnies, Ashton, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Savs, Petes, etc.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
I'm surprised no one has brought up Ardor. I've never had an Ardor that wasn't a phenomenal smoker.
In any case, for the 'factory' made pipes at $250-$350, you can't go wrong with Castello or Ardor. Savinelli's are good too, just in my experience the pipes they produce seem even more assembly-line produced than others.
The more important information would be which brand NOT to get. IMO stay away from new Petersons, Dunhills.

Reactions: Toast

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
My new Castello

So, I found one I like a lot! New Castello 55 KKKK! Should have it next week. Thanks to everyone for making the search so wonderfully difficult!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Rinaldo, Castello and Ferndown have been consistently great for me. If I had to only pick one, I think Rinaldo has been the most satisfying.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Ardor for me. Sweet from the get go. Rinaldo as well. Love for Peterson after break in....

Status
Not open for further replies.