PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Would love to have a Clark Layton someday..."
I am working with him right now and waiting for his drawing for finalization. Excited.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
AWESOME!! Way to go, jackswilling!! Please post pics when you get it!! drooldrooldrool... :D

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Love this thread. I have gobs of pipemakers I'm watching, but it would be borderline advertising (forbidden) for me to talk of it in any length.
But here's a way I can contribute, with a question for you guys: When does a pipemaker drop the 'new' prefix? Is it time spent making pipes? Is it reputation and accolades? Or maybe a mixture of both?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Brad Rowley of Growley (no idea why the name), I have two of his, and he is local to my area. So, if I have an issue, I can go knock on his door, ha ha.
I have a "Growley". Wonderful pipe and pipe maker.
Others I watch?
Moonshine Pipes. His pipes are fantastic and priced right.
Lonestar - Ryan Alden.
Layton's pipes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But here's a way I can contribute, with a question for you guys: When does a pipemaker drop the 'new' prefix? Is it time spent making pipes? Is it reputation and accolades? Or maybe a mixture of both?
Probably a mixture of the two, plus prices commanded in the market. (Which would be a function of those in most cases, weighted to reputation and accolades.)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well now... talk about a "hand in glove" moment... :D
Three weeks to the day from this minute the winners of the North American Pipe Carving Contest will be chosen & announced at the Kansas City show.
The purpose of the contest always was---and remains---the spotlighting of new talent. Identifying future pipe making stars.
No social media "buzz" matters, no second-hand knowledge applies. Whomever a carver might have studied under counts for nothing, and sexy advertising doesn't mean dick...
The pipes are examined in hand, in a closed room, for as long as desired---using special lighting and optical tools if necessary---by three hardcore judges who have over a century of pipe experience between them, much of it in a professional capacity. They do NOT mess around or treat their mission lightly.
Anyone looking for "names to watch" should definitely check the list of winners when it comes out, then add any you don't recognize to YOUR list.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Yeti/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=150844
A lot of people have been talking about Micah Cryder. This is my first pipe from Micah. It smokes brilliantly and passes a cleaner despite it's DEEP bend.

This is the first pipe of this shape that Micah made (it's become a signature shape for him) and he was 20 years old when it was made. He is one guy who I heartily recommend.
I am also really impressed Pete Prevost's work. I am smoking this pipe right now:https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/pete-prevost/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=178483

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/pete-prevost/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=178483
here's a retry on that link.

Dec 24, 2012
George, thanks for reminding me about the Kansas city competition. I just purchased 5 tickets. The author is a favourite shape and I am excited to see these pipes (and would be even more excited to win).

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have a Rubio coming and should be here in a few weeks. I have pipes by Sabina Santos from Spain which is fabulous, then there's Scottie Piersel who makes great pipes, I also have one from Mimmo Provenzano from the Puglia region of Italy (top of the heel on the Adriatic Sea) this is where my family is from, his pipes are a bargain and lastly, while not a new maker but more one whose pipes are not often found either new direct from Jack, or on the estate market, that being pipe maker Jack Howell. None of the pipes made by either of these makers will break the bank or make you unhappy, cheers.

banjo

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been watching (and buying) Chris Asteriou and Michail Kyriazanos. My Kyriazanos is one of my favorite pipes, I'll definitely be adding another (well, same for Chris). Chris Askwith is another on my wish list of makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.