PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I was in college forty some years ago, some of the kids into dungeons and dragons claimed that Ira Louvin made a deal with the devil to be able to sing and write songs the way he did.

I consider all those rumors to be pure bullsxit. Ira was an incredibly talented, loud mouthed, profane, skirt chasing drunk who died with his fourth wife in a whiskey soaked crash not far from here at what is now Kingdom City Missouri.

But his brother Charlie was a devout Christian and lived to die of old age.

It is true many duos have tried and all have failed to imitate the magic of the Louvin Brothers. Some claim their harmonies are impossible for mortals to replicate.

But the devil didn’t buy the pair, you know?

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
did you ever hear about this controversy? I guess Tull and the Eagles toured and this was a newer unrecorded Tull song.
Sound fammiliar?

No, didn’t ever know that, and of course it sounds familiar to the Hotel. I think there’s a lot of copying going on in music. Just add a note here, and shift rhythm slightly there and there’s something new. Copyright is really a hard game in this business.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
No, didn’t ever know that, and of course it sounds familiar to the Hotel. I think there’s a lot of copying going on in music. Just add a note here, and shift rhythm slightly there and there’s something new. Copyright is really a hard game in this business.
Yeah, I don't have a guitar near me but I don't think they even bothered to change the key. I guess Ian Anderson was just really cool about it though and in an interview, he was just like "yeah that happens we wish them the best of success it seems to be charting really well" I noticed that in the intro/chorus of the Dangermouse song too but then they go into this almost David Bowie Bewley Brothers direction, guess Bowie smoked a Bewley and that pipe was the inspiration behind the fictional Bewley Brothers another great song with odd Chord Changes

Last edited:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Yeah, I don't have a guitar near me but I don't think they even bothered to change the key. I guess Ian Anderson was just really cool about it though and in an interview, he was just like "yeah that happens we wish them the best of success it seems to be charting really well" I noticed that in the intro/chorus of the Dangermouse song too but then they go into this almost David Bowie Bewley Brothers direction, guess Bowie smoked a Bewley and that pipe was the inspiration behind the fictional Bewley Brothers another great song with odd Chord Changes

Loved the Hunky Dory. …a crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me…