PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Governor Jimmie Davis wrote Nobody’s Darlin’ But Mine and Emmylou Harris does the best version.

Merle Haggard is close.

And the Jimmie Davis original in 1934.

This is not country, not folk, not hillbilly, not country western, not honky tonk, and is “Old Time Music”.

If there’d have been penicillin Jimmie Rodgers would have sang more songs, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Moon Mullican used to be required knowledge for every son and daughter of the beautiful Missouri Ozark foothills I call home.

Nobody sang like Moon, but everybody’s grandmother tried to play the piano like him.

Here’s one Moon wrote about a little boy whose family had been ravaged by tuberculosis.

And another one that tells how families are torn apart by the death of a dear mother.

But the most requested Moon Mullican song at jam sessions fifty years ago and today is hands down, I’ll Sail My Ship Alone.

But of the dozens of Moon Mullican songs, my pick is Goodnight Irene.

Moon Mullican fit no specific genre.

It’s been said he inspired rockabilly.

But he sure could make those beer bottles bounce on the tables.:)

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
MC02MTEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Now playing Steely Dan - Can’t Buy A Thrill
2022 remastered SACD, hot off the presses.​

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My son is a senior in HS. His musical knowledge is good, but not great. I need him to know, KNOW music before he abandons me for college.

Tonight is all about Synth/ New wave/ Early Electronic. I have a hard time telling some of these songs' exact genre. There was a look the farm kids would give you if you played certain music... That was my go to filing system.

Starting off:
Gary Numan - Cars