What makes a good pipe? / my first pipe!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
just wanted to add my first pipe. it was a 29.99 benton pipe i got on my local cigar/pipe store.

I was wondering what makes a good pipe? what makes it smoke better?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congratulations Steve!

What makes a good pipe? A good tobacco. (I'll let someone else discuss the pipe's geometry, etc.)

What makes it smoke better? You do, by caring for it, packing it properly, and striving to improve your technique with each smoke.

I hope that cutie brings a lifetime of comfort and pleasure. Enjoy!
ps. Check out Russ Ouellette's Theory of Pipe Break-in for starters. Then scroll to the bottom-left of this page to browse Bob Tate's articles here at PM.com

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
A good pipe can cost $29.95 or $10,000. If you enjoy smoking it, it is a good pipe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Exactly what Chuck said. I have Dr Grabows that smoke very well and a Dunghill that stays in the rack .

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
A good pipe will be well made, whether it's $30 or $10,000 as chuck says. You'll find the bit fits flush, has a good draw, you can slide a flffy pipe cleaner down it. It will also be comfortable. Not too thick as to be chunky and not so thin you can easily bite through it. As you smoke it, the briar will pass the heat evenly so as not to cause hot spots. The airway will be centered at the very bottom of the bowl. And overall, it will smoke well for you.
arthur, send me that dunhill. :)

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I got a Peterson Donegal as a bonus when I bought a zippo and this has now turned into a really good smoker, much better than some more expensive ones I have. I like a big bowl, it has to have a good draw to it and feel comfortable in my hand. And also, thick walls of the bowl so it doesn't feel too hot.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
Oh, pipe philosophy!!! what makes a good pipe? good quality briar at the first and foremost. careful smoking for the first 12 or 15 times (and careful smoking afterwards too, of course!). careful handling and cleaning.
I have some very good ones, some good ones and a couple of mediocre ones (for example gifts from the family "because it looked nice") that tend to get hot very easy.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Congratulations Steve!

What makes a good pipe? A good tobacco. (I'll let someone else discuss the pipe's geometry, etc.)

What makes it smoke better? You do, by caring for it, packing it properly, and striving to improve your technique with each smoke.

I hope that cutie brings a lifetime of comfort and pleasure. Enjoy!
A good pipe will be well made, whether it's $30 or $10,000 as chuck says. You'll find the bit fits flush, has a good draw, you can slide a fluffy pipe cleaner down it. It will also be comfortable. Not too thick as to be chunky and not so thin you can easily bite through it. As you smoke it, the briar will pass the heat evenly so as not to cause hot spots. The airway will be centered at the very bottom of the bowl. And overall, it will smoke well for you.
Arthur and Haunted are both right.

It's a pipe and that makes it special.

But, this is your first pipe.... and that makes it very special.

I still have and enjoy my first pipe... I bought it about 35 years ago.

While it isn't a "basket" pipe it certainly isn't a Cavicchi.

It's just a pipe and it'll be in my pocket along with a roll-up of 1Q, box of matches, a tamper and some cleaners when they through dirt in my face many years from now.

Who says you can't take it with you.
Welcome to the fraternity!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Congrats on the pipe, hellar.
Just look at the pictures of my pipes threads and you'll realize that everybody has their own ideas of what pipes they let into their own collections. The basics are constant: good briar (or meerschaum!), holes that line up and a shape/size/bit that suits the owner's habits. After that, it's as individual as the smoker. Some people fixate on a certain style (fancy a bulldog, cortez?) while others might prefer a bent or a straight and then have a variety of shapes. Some just like what they like.
Getting back to the question, one of the reason that I prefer bents is... it lets me see what's going on in the bowl better and that leads to a better smoke for me. But that could just be my relative inexperience. Doesn't take much: even my 1/4 bent Brigham is easier for me to smoke than my straight Stanwell.
Simon

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It's like asking 'what makes a good dog' or 'what makes a good car'. There will always be a few generally accepted basics, but the true beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Find a pipe that seems to resonate with your personality and make it part of the collection. Years from now, friends may leave you or pass away. That pipe will still be there patiently waiting for it's turn in the rotation.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I must agree with all here, that it does not matter the Price you paid rather that you like it and it smokes good.

My Wife a couple of years ago bought me a really nice Pipe for Christmas and it was not cheap, it smoked well, I did notice that the bowl would tend to get hot and sure enough it cracked, it broke right along the grain. I still have it but can no longer smoke it.

I also have very cheap Garbo's that smoke great and have been through the wringer with me, so I believe that price is not the issue, its what you like.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
i have a new pipe coming in today and another one tomorrow

my first new pipe after getting a no name cheap plastic tip briar is a Graco Safari

can't find much out about it but my second one is a savenelli unfinished dublin

in a previous article i show the picture and i am asking about the grain pattern in subsequent postings

i am trying to find out if someone can tell me what grain pattern is in this pipe

it doesn't match any definition that i have read about

i don't think i have seen any other ones with a pattern like this and i don't know if it is bad or good

Status
Not open for further replies.