PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I say try as much as you can. I'm typically limited to aro's due to the tastes of the wife. However I find that I really enjoy other types when I can get away with it. I enjoy new tobaccos just for the sake of trying something new. It has amazed me that each new blend is often times profoundly different from the last.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
You might enjoy Dunhill Nightcap (since you have a Dunhill can of Early Morning as your avatar I assume you like Dunhill products), and might enjoy Uhle's (Milwaukee based tobacco store) Bishop's Move and Blend 114. Welcome to the forum, hope it will be a source of good information for you.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I've been mostly enjoying Frog Morton's Cellar and Dunhill My Mixture 965 lately. I venture out to Dan's Blue Note and Escudo but always find I miss the Latakia. The Cellar has been really nice.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
thanks for all the suggestions again and villager 1888 sounds like my type of tobacco but I have a lot of tobaccos to try thanks a lot guys going to go order some :puffpipe:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm typically limited to aro's due to the tastes of the wife.

I'll pray for you buddy, once you give them an inch, they take a mile. You start with latkia bombs then settle on EMP or MM965

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm strictly an aromatic smoker by my own choice. Let the booing commence lol. To me right now Latakia is just bitter and awful, so I stick with mostly Va/Burley/Cavendish aromatics. My favorite right now has to be 1Q. Just a great easy non-complex puff on it all day smoke that has a nice even flavor transfer. There's a reason it's the #1 selling bulk blend.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
lordofthepiperings, I'm happy that you smoke what you like. I think that one of the great things about this hobby is amount of different flavor choices. My first tobacco was a VA/Burley/Latakia blend, and I enjoyed it. I've found over the years I've tended more towards straight Va and Va heavy blends. About 25% of what I smoke are aromatics, and I feel that good aromatics have a good place in our hobby. One of these days I'll get around to trying 1Q. I tried to buy some at the B&M last time I was there, but the people working that day had no idea which shop blend was actually 1Q.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I definitely would suggest anyone getting into the hobby to give every blend style a try right off the bat. People all react differently to the different blends and you really should sample most of the styles before settling on liking/not liking pipe smoking. Virginia blends are a lot different than English/Balkan blends, which are different from aromatics, which are different from Burley blends, which are different from cigar leaf blends and so on.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Kind of a bad question IMO. If you do not want Latika then try Virginia or the other way around. You really just have to experiment until you find out what you like then go from there. For example pick a general Virginia from one of the Top blenders such as Mac Baren, Mcellands, Dunhill. After a couple different tins you will figure out if just pure Virginia is your style. If not jar it, store it, and come back to it later. Then repeat and rinse with Latika blends. $60 - $100 should give you enough tins to give you an idea of what you like or do not like. After you figure it out post a question that is a little more specific like: I really enjoy Latika blends. I had some MacBaren HH vintage Syrian and looking for something else to try any suggestions? Then everyone will have a better idea of what to suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.