What Kind of Wood is Dr. Grabow Made Of??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I have a few Dr Grabows as well as Kaywoodie pipes. All in the same range of price and gotta say I prefer the Kaywoodie but that's just my personal opinion. Either brand can be purchased within the same price range.
Hench my avatar image of this Kaywoodie Super Grain bulldog. It's my lawn mowing, weed trimming, gardening pipe of choice.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
taztime, cobs provide very good smokes. I don't know your budget, but Parker, Savinelli and Peterson all offer very good pipes for around $50-60, so twice what a new Dr. Grabow will cost, but a much, much better pipe. If you have $80-100, you can get a Stanwell in a shape of your choice that will smoke almost as good as any pipe made -- it won't be fancy and the stem won't be the thinnest (look to artisan pipes for that kind of thing), but in my view the best "bang for the buck."

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Dr Grabows are great pipes for the price,no they are not $300.00 + pipes but they work just fine for me and I don't mind supporting the fine hard working folks in Sparta NC.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Note-If you can find a Starfire, they are NOT filter pipes, only ones I know of that Grabow has made. They are "adjustomatic" and have stingers, like Kaywoodies, but the stingers are removable.
Grabow made several lines of non-fltered,stinger equipped pipes. The stingers are easily removed. Viscount,Eldorado,Regal,Emperor,Westbrook,Commodore,Sculptura,Adventurer....

Then there's the early Linkmans and HLT made pipes of the 1930's to 1950's.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
So what did you end up buying Taztime?
Personally I love my little Grabow given to me as a birthday present from my little sister. It's great for a 15 min smoke because it's bowl is so tiny I usually pack it with my pinky finger. Although that's getting harder to do... damn cake.
Set a budget and call up one of the sponsors. Tell them you have $70, or whatever you want to spend on a pipe, and they will give you more info than you'll know what to do with.
Let us know what you got!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I once had a small Dr. Grabow. I didn't like it and found it inferior to my MM cobs. Perhaps I never smoked it enough to break it in. I'm happy to hear that others have had good experiences with them.

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/drgrabow-savoy-21-600x285.jpg

>> I finally decided on a Dr. Grabow Savoy Pipe. It was really a hard decision to make. I received so many suggestion as to the pipe I should purchase for my first Briar Pipe. Some of the suggestion were Parker,Mr. Brog,Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, and many more. But after studying all of them I decided on a Dr. Grabow Savoy.

So thanks for all of your help. ... Ya'll have been great. - taztime :)

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Congrats on purchasing a Dr grabow,the folks in Sparta will thank you for supporting them.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congrats on your Grabow! My first pipe was a Grabow. Now I have 3 and 4 old Linkman's Grabows. They are nice pipes!

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/dr-paul-e-grabow-in-his-80s-480x600.jpg

Dr. Grabow Pipe History -- a Brief Overview

By Dr. D.R. Bridges, last update 12-08-2008.

The Dr. Grabow as an identifiable brand of pipes began in 1931, as the brainchild of Louis B. Linkman and Dr. Paul Grabow. Linkman was owner of M. Linkman & Co., which had been making pipes since 1892 under the MLC brand. The Grabow family history is that Linkman and Dr. Grabow used to meet for a smoke and bull session in Brown’s Drug Store in Lincoln Park. During one of their discussions, Linkman told Grabow he had an idea for a new line of innovative pipes, and he wanted to use Dr. Grabow’s name and endorsement. We don’t know Linkman’s new idea behind these pipes, but suspect it was the 2-scoop aluminum cleaner, featuring a saliva trap and a nicotine trap, which also functioned as a scraping tool to remove residue from the bowl.
The Dr. Grabow pipe was only one of several pipe brands made at the Linkman plant on W. Fullerton Ave., but they must have earned the public’s approval, because a 1937 Linkman publication shows sales of their Dr. Grabow pipes increased by approximately 8-fold in their first six years.
Dr. Grabow pipe sales continued to increase and in October of 1944, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Was formed and incorporated. Its founding incorporators included Richard J. Dean, Angelo Pinasco, and Harry A. Shapiro. The corporate address remained in the M. Linkman building on W. Fullerton. We have found no evidence showing that anyone other than M. Linkman produced the Dr. Grabow pipe for the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Of Chicago.
In February of 1953, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Filed corporate dissolution papers. The next month in March, Henry Leonard and Thomas of Greensboro, North Carolina announced they had acquired the Dr. Grabow and M. Linkman business. The Chicago factory continued to produce Dr. Grabow pipes for a few months until manufacturing equipment could be moved from Chicago to HL&T’s factory, Sparta Pipes, in Sparta, North Carolina. In December of 1953 the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co., corporation of Chicago finally dissolved.
HL&T continued to produce the Dr. Grabow pipes under their previous model names for the first few years, but with new shapes HL&T had developed for their Royalton brand of pipes. By 1956, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Advertised their new line of Savoy pipes for $2.00, and throughout the rest of the 1950s and in the early 1960s the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Announced new lines of pipes – the Riviera and Regal in 1957, the Starfire in 1958, the Viscount and Eldorado in 1961. Also during the 1950s, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. Introduced their filtered Duke line of pipes using the new Duke paper filters.
Sparta Pipes wasn’t the only factory involved in manufacturing Dr. Grabow pipes for HL&T. Until 1984, So La Res Spa of Livorno Italy produced “little” Dukes and Larks. Missouri Meerschaum produced Dr. Grabow corn cob pipes. Italian and Greek makers such as Gigi produced meerschaum lined Dr. Grabow pipes.
In 1969, US Tobacco acquired Sparta Pipes and rights to Dr. Grabow. This acquisition infused the company with new capital and secured its future. A new factory was completed in 1978, and the old cramped quarters were abandoned. US Tobacco bought out Henry Leonard & Thomas in 1982, and closed the Greensboro sales office.
In 1992, Lane Ltd. Acquired the Dr. Grabow property from US Tobacco. Lane Ltd. Came under ownership of RJ Reynolds and British American Tobacco in about 2000. James Burns of BAT purchased the Dr. Grabow/Sparta business in 2006, and it is now under his sole ownership.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Once the nasty bowl coating is smoked off, and once broken in, Dr Grabow pipes will give you a fine smoke. Leave the filter out. Are there better pipes? Sure. But for the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better pipe and you'll support the last remaining sliver of pipe Americana.

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
Once the nasty bowl coating is smoked off, and once broken in, Dr Grabow pipes will give you a fine smoke. Leave the filter out. Are there better pipes? Sure. But for the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better pipe and you'll support the last remaining sliver of pipe Americana.
@ sothron

Amen brother sothron you are speaking the truth. --- taztime :puffy:

dr-grabows-pipes-600x553.jpg

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Dr grabows are made of briar. Not all mr brog pipes are made out of briar, some are made out of pearwood,, which I heard is good, pipefriendchs on youtube recommends the lumberjack model, as it is a large pipe for 89 dollars. Its made of pear wood. Kaywoodies are made of briar too

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
Dr grabows are made of briar. Not all mr brog pipes are made out of briar, some are made out of pearwood,, which I heard is good, pipefriendchs on youtube recommends the lumberjack model, as it is a large pipe for 89 dollars. Its made of pear wood. Kaywoodies are made of briar too
>> Thanks "youngpiper1" for the info. ..... taztime :puffpipe:

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
>> Pipe Diagram --
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/pipe-diagram1-600x220.jpg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have one Dr. G in my rotation, a 1/2 bent Royalton bulldog, and it smokes like a champ! I always chunk the filters out of any pipe I buy that comes with one. Never much cared for them much. I have much more expensive pipes in my collection , but I still love my Graybow!

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/sizing-info-for-pipe-bowls-600x545.jpg
http://www.eacarey.com/charts.html
Sizing Info for Pipe Bowls, Stems, and Cigar Ring Gauges

smoking-pipe-icon.gif

Bowl & Stem Guides

Use our handy bowl guide at left, and see below to help you select the size of pipe and the thickness of the bit that you require.
Bowl Size Guide

At the end of every pipe description you will see a line that says "Bowl Group...", followed by a letter (A-E). This refers to the size of a pipe's bowl, from smaller to larger heights and widths. The sizes below may vary slightly from the actual product received because of variations in the wood used or differences in manufacturing. The chart is a good representation, though, for judging the differences in size.
Stem Size Guide

Also at the end of each pipe description, you will see the words "Stem Type...", followed by a letter (A, B, D, E). This refers to the way the pipe's stem is tapered to the bit. You'll know whether the stem is thick or thin. Type A is 13/64" wide at the bit, or gradually tapers, Type B is 12/64" wide, also gradually tapered. Type D is 10/64" wide, with a sharper taper, and Type D is 9/64" wide, or sharply tapered at the bit.
Ring Gauge Chart

Every cigar has a shape, but did you know that the cigar diameter influences the flavor and body of a cigar? The smaller the ring gauge, the hotter and harsher the smoke. A larger ring gauge, in the same brand, will produce a cooler, more full-flavored smoke. Ring gauge sizes are based on an ancient system that measures them in 64ths of an inch. Hence, a cigar whose size is listed as 6" x 42 is approximately 6" long and 42/64" (or 21/32") in diameter. To give you a handy guide to cigar diameters, you can use United States coinage and shapes that are relative to each other based on their ring gauge.

- See more at: http://www.eacarey.com/charts.html#sthash.ydF32BCT.dpuf

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
DIAGRAM OF A PIPE
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/pipe-diagram1-600x220.jpg
granddukesmooth.jpg

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
Pipe Care & Maintenance are Crucial to Continued Smoking Enjoyment!

savoysmooth.jpg

If you follow these tips to proper care and maintenance, your pipe can last many years.
• Most importantly, use pipe cleaners as you smoke. It will help keep the pipe dry and smelling sweet.
• Never leave your pipe in the sun or heat. Direct sunlight will change the color of the pipe, and the heat can change the flavor of your pipe.
• If you have to stop smoking and are not going to smoke again in the next 10 or 20 minutes, empty your pipe. Never leave tobacco, smoked or unsmoked, in your pipe. It clogs the flow of air necessary to help dry the pipe and adds moisture to an already moist pipe.
• When emptying your pipe, never bang it on anything except the palm of your hand. Use a pipe tool to loosen the tobacco and empty it carefully.
• The last thing you should do to your pipe, after you have emptied the bowl of tobacco, is run a pipe cleaner though the stem and shank. This will clean and dry out your pipe. Don't remove your bit from the shank unless doing a major cleaning.
• Rotate your pipes. Never smoke a hot pipe; try to wait at least one to two hours before re-smoking the same pipe.
• Try to keep your pipes in the open; never keep them in a closed box, drawer or bag. Pipes kept in closed containers will become smelly. Pipe racks are the best; they are open, which allows the air to flow though the pipes. Also, most racks keep the pipe in the best storage position, with the stem facing up and the bowl on the bottom.
• If the pipe becomes a little smelly and not as sweet as before, try dipping your pipe cleaners in drinking alcohol (vodka or rum). Run the alcohol dipped pipe cleaner though the stem and shank until it comes out clear; then let your pipe “rest” for a couple of weeks.
• If the outside of your pipe bits become dirty or start to turn color, try using toothpaste on a rag. Use it only on the pipe bit and not on the shank. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive; it will clean the bit without harming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.