What Kind of Looks/Reactions do You Get While Smoking in Public? Good or Bad!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I hate those "pipe" shops
LOL... why do you HATE those pipe shops? They are just business owners making a living.
As far as the OP's question... well I love is southern Cali, so yeah I get frowned upon for smoking my pipe in public. :P ... but whatever, really dont give two shits!

logandow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I guess hate is a strong word, but I've wandered into those "pipe" shops one to many times only to find glass. So bother would be a better term than hate.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I don't smoke that often in public, preferably on my steps outside. But when I do I mostly just get glances, people looking at me from in their cars etc. Once I was turning (walking) down an alley to walk through while smoking a pipe and I passed a dude who had just walked the alley and he stopped and said "You're the second person I've seen smoking a pipe in this alley today," which I thought was funny. I have never seen anyone in my small city smoking a pipe, people are not used to seeing it I don't think.
No rude remarks though, though sometimes I can look pretty edgy and homely by my expression and the way I dress.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
but I've wandered into those "pipe" shops one to many times only to find glass. So bother would be a better term than hate.
LOL... no worries... trust me I live in Southern Cali... I dont even bother looking up tobacco shops anymore :P

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
So, scottishjohn's post reminded me of something. On New Years Day, my wife and I decided to take BART over to our old neighborhood in San Francisco in the Mission. After lunch, we walked to the Upper Haight to do some shopping. While wandering around we came upon a shop which we had never encountered, a purveyor of steampunk clothing and accessories. They had an interesting collection of hats. So, we decided to look around. I find steampunk interesting, but nothing I would really wear. Oh, I can rock a bowtie and a pair of suspenders with the best of them and have no qualms about sprucing up a look with a waistcoat or a fine pocket silk. So, as you see, I certainly can appreciate the finely dressed gent. Anyway, I digress. While admiring their collection of canes and walking sticks, my attention was grabbed by a sign above a door near the back of the shop. The sign said, Smoke Shop. That it was rendered in rainbow colored LEDs should have been my first warning. However, looking about I thought, "This could be promising!" "What better accessory for the young steampunk than a briar pipe or better yet, a Falcon," I told myself. Passing through the curtain I was met with the finest collection of hookahs and glass pipes that any Victorian gentleman has ever seen. While I was tempted by the great price on rolling papers and incense, I ended up exiting post haste!

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Hmmm.. I mostly get amused looks or comments on how they like the pipe smell. Of course, that is when I am smoking 1Q or other aromatic. If I don't feel like hanging around with strangers, I light up a bowl of Margate (Tastes so good.. but can be stinky.) :mrgreen: :puffy:
Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm pretty laid back and get along with just about everyone. Don't get me wrong, I can go all barking moonbat on someone with the best of them, but as a general rule I let people do what they want as long as they don't pester me. If they ask too many questions, I just regale them with the fine qualities and vicissitudes of a bowl of Black House until their eyes glaze over or they start snoring.
Young people tend to call me "sir" these days, which I have mixed feelings about but they typically react well to my pipe and the smell coming out of it.

Aug 14, 2012
Baron: Isn't it irritating when people call you sir? I used to get pissed off, now I am used to it. As far as the question goes, people regard me as strange even when I am not smoking in public. Especially the older women some of whom cannot decide whether to hit on me or spit on me.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
A year ago, about the time the last Holmes movie came out, I was puffing away on a Philly street and a crowd of kids came along, tittered, pointed and said 'There's Sherlock.' Shows you how ignorant they were: I don't even own a calabash. Now with the new LOTR movie, I expect to be called Gandalf. Time to buy a churchwarden.
hp

les

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Perhaps they were referring to the Sherlock of the original stories...who never smoked a calabash. :nana:

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I wore a robe and took a walking stick with me Halloween to take my kid trick or treating and the Churchwarden went over very well.. Of course I get more looks from cigars than I do a pipe..

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
I live in San Francisco. Which should tell you everything.

Several years ago I was walking down Battery Street on the way to work, when a woman of the wheatgerm-snarfing earthmother persuasion came up to me and screamed "thank you SO MUCH for ruining my lungs!"
What I thought was 'lady, there's three lanes of slow moving traffic, and a cloud of toxic car exhaust right here'.
What I said was "you're very welcome".

slimpiknz

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
When I walk my dog and smoke I get tons of looks. Most people think i'm smoking something other than tobacco till they smell it.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
Some girls just tried to sneakily get a picture or a video of me earlier today while I was having a smoke. I think that it was probably the kilt that interested them though.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I just get some strange looks and occasionally someone asks about why I choose a pipe. I am 23 but with a somewhat muscular shape and full beard, many say I look older. Who knows.
My wife got me a pipe for Christmas and she got some really strange looks when she bought it. She is 22 but could pass for under 20. Not exactly the typical pipe customer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I go out in public the woman swoon, young children run up to me and start following me, men look at me with envy, why.... because I am the most interesting man on the planet.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I get overwhelmingly positive reactions and room note compliments. (Admittedly, I try to smoke only those tobaccos with good room notes when I'm in public).
As a side note, I'm a huge OCMS fan as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.