What Is Your Standard For Deep Cleaning A Tobacco Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Pipe smokers aren’t as cerebral and jovial as our Tolkien brothers would think us.
To that, I will quote the eternal optimist and confirmed bard of bottoms; Leonard Cohen, whose music is usually on to set the mood whilst I perform a deep clean of my beautiful, skilled, expertly drilled... briar.

There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Judging by what I've read so far I'm verging on becoming a ''slob''. My idea of a deep cleaning is dipping a pipe cleaner in whisky or rum and running it through once in a blue moon.
I do my best to keep the inside of the bowl free of too much cake and the rim as clean as possible. Normal pipe cleaner use happens no more than once a week and even then it's only on the pipes that have seen daily use. Some pipes don't see a pipe cleaner for weeks or even months.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
A ream with paper towel followed by water flush. Dry with pipe cleaners. Polish stem with jeweler's cloth. Every 10 smokes or so, I take the pipe apart and clean the shank with alcohol and the stem with unscented soap.
It takes little time to perform this ritual and I find it beneficial for the performance of my pipes.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just leave the stem in if you do a long soak.

I haven't had to use salt nor Everclear for over five years. That was the standard then; this is now.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Learning a lot in this thread. Will have to give a few of these methods a try to see which one works best for me.

Don’t understand using soap even if unscented. You only do that on the stems? Or, are you using soap on the briar and in the chamber?

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I use pipe cleaners dipped in Jameson (for Petersons) Grappa (for Savinelliis) Bourbon or American Brandy (for USA mades) Ouzo(for Greek pipes) Brandy (for French pipes) Blended Scotch (for Comoys, Hardcastles, et al...) Gluhwein or Schnapps (for the Germans) and VO or Crown(for Calichs)
I don't know how clean it gets my pipes, but it's good excuse to keep a well stocked liquor cabinet.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Every 6 months or so…
1. I’ll lightly ream the bowl down to a very think casing.
2 . I’ll run pipe cleaners (bristled if necessary) soaked in Everclear through the shank, mortise, stem until there is no darkness on the cleaners.
3. Finally, I’ll rub the pipes down with a Terri cloth or shammy cloth.

My cobs don’t get this type of treatment as I love the flavor of a good ole rank cob. ☕

Reactions: edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Learning a lot in this thread. Will have to give a few of these methods a try to see which one works best for me.

Don’t understand using soap even if unscented. You only do that on the stems? Or, are you using soap on the briar and in the chamber?
I will use a fragrance free dishwashing gel for cleaning the interior of an acrylic stem. Other than that I use alcohol to clean vulcanite, and warm water or alcohol to clean the chamber and the shank airway.

mijnnif

Lurker
Jan 13, 2022
Just leave the stem in if you do a long soak.

I haven't had to use salt nor Everclear for over five years. That was the standard then; this is now.
I was under the impression that the salt and high proof alcohol was the best for getting funky smell or taste out of the bowl and shank?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was under the impression that the salt and high proof alcohol was the best for getting funky smell or taste out of the bowl and shank?

That's for ghosting in the pipe, and when the simpler and milder treatments don't work.
If the funk is caused by a build up of gunk from your own tobacco, ghosting won't be an issue. Smell and taste are, and pipes are often much cleaner and sweeter after a hot water flush,

Reactions: Laurent

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Still blows my mind that people put water in their pipe ?

Deep clean is a light ream, a pipecleaner with some liquor through the draft hole. Stem cleaner through the stem. A buffing wheel for overly oxidized stems.

Depending on the state of the cake I may thinly coat the inside of the bowl in honey before the next smoke.

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I am still a newbie, but this seems to work: after each smoke I wipe out the bowl with whiskey and a paper towel, use a pipe cleaner with a little whiskey from the button to the bowl, and then wipe dry with a paper towel. I do this with both clays and briars. Seems to work well, and the pipes have a pleasant smell between smokes. ?

Reactions: Laurent and rmpeeps