What is Your Fondest Memory Related to Pipe Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I guess it was when the GKCPC presented me with a wonderful Mike Sull document that listed some of my accomplishments with the group during that time. Mike writes like nobody in the world.

Reactions: swampgrizzly

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I think the first time I remember seeing a pipe is when I watched " a Connecticut Yankee in King Authors court" on TV as a child. I knew my mother and many others who smoked cigarettes but I was fascinated by Bing Crosby's character in the film with his clenched pipe just chatting away while gentle whisps of smoke billowed and then disappeared.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
My 2 favorite memories/experiences related to pipe smoking are enjoying a lunting pipe smoke while walking on top of the Mississippi River levee and watching the river traffic, especially the paddle wheeler excursion boats. It's fun to hear their calliope music and waving to it's passengers who are out on deck while reflecting back to older Mark Twain times on the river. My other favorite experience that I enjoy is smoking on my front porch swing at night and watching the fire flies (lightning bugs).

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
When you always have a pipe going, year after year, all memories are pipe related in a way.

But, besides people telling me how wonderful my pipe smells, inviting me to smoke in their homes, restaurants telling me that pipes are ok to smoke... a few folks doing the fake cough thing or asking me to leave with my pipe tends to stand out. But, luckily those are fewer and farther between.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
My my favorite pipe smoking memories have nothing to do with me smoking a pipe at all, but being with my grandfather while he enjoyed his. Watching the Astros or the Oilers at his house while he sat in his chair and I sat on the couch. Riding along with him in the golf cart while he shot the back nine. Accompanying him to the Eckard's Drug Store, or to the Tinder Box in Parkdale Mall where he purchased his pipes & tobacco... and eventually, inheriting his pipe collection after his passing.

Perhaps the fondest of all these memories, was discovering the smell inside his tobacco pouches, which still had little remnants inside, about a decade after his passing. It immediately brought me back to my fond memories of him. Even as I write this, 30+ years since his passing, I can remember those times fondly.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Best memory was seeing my Grandfather's eyes light up when he found out I smoked a pipe. At that time, about 20 years ago, I was the only one (still am) from his 8 children and couple dozen grandchildren (more now) who took up the pipe. Later that day, I had asked for a bowl of "his" tobacco, and he tossed me a full bag of his favorite Blender's Gold Peach Melba. I purchased a couple pipes for Aros and smoked it often. Still have some in a jar, and it still has a little smell left to it. I open the jar a couple times a year to smell it and or fill a bowl to relive that day.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I can remember more than once, but I was fly fishing for trout about 20 years ago. It was winter ,I managed to catch a 20" Brownie on a streamer. What a fight to keep him out of the logs in the river. I released him and went to the bank to rest and smoke a pipe . It was one of the best most relaxing smoke I have had. I took a quick measurement with out taking the trout out of the net. OH! I have never caught a trout that size again.

Reactions: romaso