PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
… to smoke your pipe? I know that most enjoy smoking around the clock regardless of season or temperature, but I prefer the cooler months. I enjoy smoking outside on the deck, but the summers in the northeast are too hot and humid. If I do indulge, I tend to gravitate toward cigars and smoke in the evening when it’s cooler. Once sweater weather begins, or what I call hoodie weather, then I’m back into the fold and I can’t explain why ??‍♂️

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I definitely prefer Fall & Winter in central Texas, it’s just perfect smoking weather. Nothing like a pipe with a hot coffe on a crisp fall/winter morning! I prefer smoking outside but in the summer I’m forced to smoke inside. I don’t smoke a pipe all day long so the smell bothers me when the smoke gets stale.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Autumn for me as well, followed by winter, spring, and summer as my least favorite. I smoke outside exclusively, so my ability to do it, or lack thereof, is largely dependent on the weather.

Summer is my least favorite season in general; to me, it's just a time to get through, and my favorite season, fall, is the reward for doing so. Summers in Southern California (this part anyway) have changed noticeably; used to be hot and dry without exception, and now they are more humid, cooler (hard to tell when it's so humid) and even feature some rain here and there. Summer smokes, for me, are usually relegated to the VA/VAPer realm, with an occasional light aromatic.

For me, autumn is when smoking becomes pure joy. There's a chill and a crispness in the air, and the coming coldness carries an energy with it that just screams, "Balkan Sasieni time, muthaf***ah!" (think Jules from Pulp Fiction) It is also my favorite season in general, which only amplifies the enjoyment gleaned from smoking a pipe.

Winter in the mountains? Good luck! If I bundle up real nice and it happens to be between snows, I'll go out and puff on a strong English or an earthy Burley blend, but remember, I'm SoCal born and raised; a few minutes' exposure is about all I can take, and I'm prone to faster puffing just as a means to finishing quickly and getting myself back to the warm living room. Call me a wuss if you must, but wusses don't get frostbite.

Spring smokes are nice too. I love heavier aromatics, VaBurs and VaOrs during this time, but the heavy precipitation California has been receiving these past seven or eight years (I've just about had it with the media and their stupid drought propaganda) brings heavy plant growth, which brings pollen. That necessarily limits the amount of time I can spend outside, and I'm not one to rely on a Benadryl band-aid all the time. Still, it's a lovely time of year, even though the abomination of summer looms ahead.

Alright, I'm done with my novel now. Time for some innocuous, ubiquitous VA flake now... puffy

Last edited:

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
Well as a Cajun I agree with TBrad ( Cajuns use the T instead of JR, every kid in school was TBob, or TJohn. hot right now so waiting for fall, best time cause of LSU football. In the winter, we cannot wait till spring. It is all good.
cheers
TJohn

Mar 1, 2014
Spring, the weather always feels comfortably warm as average temperature rises week by week, and all the bugs are still dead from winter.
March/April and September/October are prime Pipesmoking months.

Reactions: mikefu and STP
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Man, I can find something charming about a pipe in any weather. Maybe cuz it’s still new and exciting for me. It’s 103 out right now where I am, but I’m on the porch, in the shade, having a pipe and an iced tea.

I also like getting bundled up and smoking in 10 below. As long as there’s no wind. Pipes and fall go hand in hand, of course. And smoking while I watch it rain from the porch is pretty magical also. I think I’m just a sucker for this hobby.

Reactions: beefeater33 and STP