What is Your Favorite International Dish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
My family is of German decent on my father's side and Irish on my mother's, we still eat a lot of traditional foods from both places. Spaetzle is one of my favorites, so is Schwarzsauer, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would actually was brought from Germany/Prussia to the midwest and that is a Bierock. Bierocks are a slightly sweat bread with a beef, onion and cabbage filling. I could eat my weight in them.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Right now, my favorite international dish would have to be this babe...

View attachment 310323
That mole is distracting. I would have to eat around it.

There are so many great international dishes - it depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time, so here are favorites from various cultures: chile rellenos, lasagna, Thai massaman curry, coq au vin, Paella, Yuk gae Jang, borscht, El Salvadoran tamales, Greek meatballs, almost any Basque food.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Right now I'm craving some rojak (Rojak - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojak#Malaysian_and_Singaporean_rojak) and goat satay (Satay - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satay#Malaysia), both Malaysian style.
iu

Rojak

iu

Satay

Last edited:

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
China is a pretty big country and their regional cuisine is very diverse.
I don’t think one can judge by what you get in America
That is true. I know the food is better in China, but it is hard to find an authentic down home cooking Chinese restaurant here.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
China is a pretty big country and their regional cuisine is very diverse.
I don’t think one can judge by what you get in America
A few years back, I listened to a radio interview here in the States of a couple of American guys who had opened an American style Chinese restaurant in Beijing because they couldn't otherwise get American-Chinese food there!

Nowadays, at least on the US west coast, it's hard to find a "traditional" American-Chinese restaurant, i.e., one that serves chop suey, egg foo young, sweet sour pork, egg rolls, crab rangoon (deep fried wonton skin stuffed with cream cheese!), and lots of other deep fried stuff (no steamed offerings whatsoever). Such a restaurant would always also offer hamburger and fries for the uninitiated. I'd wager that they do not serve the same dishes in Australian-Chinese restaurants.

The restaurants in the US used to be run by Cantonese speakers. Now, the newer Chinese restaurants here are run by Mandarin speakers who offer more Taiwanese and northern Chinese inspired dishes, like dumplings with thick chewy skin and thick chewy noodles (there seems to be a pattern). They are often not spicy or pungent enough to my Malaysian/Singaporean palate which finds greater affinity with Thai and Vietnamese food.

Last edited: