PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I too have no bad smoking pipes. I have gone through maybe 80? 100? To get to the 14 briars I have today. Each and everyone a superbly smoking pipe.
I wish I had the money I spent on the rest :(

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd have to say they all smoke well, even ones with a greater or lesser draw. I have one estate —a Prince— where the draw is too restricted, but I just need to get out some tools and open 'er up a touch.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Tie for me.
Birth year Dunhill bulldog:
Dunhill%20and%20Lag_zpsdwu2rv9e.jpg

And D. Rhodes bulldog:
Rhodesbulldog2.jpg

I wonder, looking at this thread and thinking about the mechanics of the thing, (and allowing for exceptions, of course) if straight or slightly bent pipes are more likely to give a somewhat superior smoke (assuming, when we say "a good smoker" that we mean easily smoked, easily kept alight, pleasing draw etc.)

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
More than half of my 50 or so pipes are Design Berlin... ALL of them rate as my best smokers! (And I've had 3 Petersons that are all problematic in one way or another.) Vauen's come in a close second. The only pipe that is a mystery to me as a lousy smoker is a Karl Erik "Compact" that is in reality huge. It's a thing of beauty to look at... but doesn't smoke worth a darn.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have too many pipes that smoke great so it would be impossible to pick one.

If someone held a gun to my head, I would have to pick the following Rad Davis.
FH02224008_zps3b370b5d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Agree with cigrmaster. I have scores of pipes. I might be able to pick out a top ten, but that would leave out some jewels. Some with the biggest bowls are just right with some blends and at certain times. Some of the "best" pipes, in terms of makers and price, are certainly up there. Then some of the mid-grades are nearly perfect for particular blends and cuts. And specific cobs and inexpensive factory pipes are amazing. So it goes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, no one here with a brain gets ticked off just because someone is new.
I hope you enjoy your time here, and occasionally disregard a post or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.